Workflow Error RRS feed

• Question

• When I am trying to use the ootb approval workflow I am getting an error in the middle of the configuration process.  I can select add new workflow, select approval workflow and name the workflow and how I would like the workflow to be started.  But when I hit the NEXT button it gives me an encryption algorithm error (I've also had a form closed error at one point).  Any suggestions on what this might be?

Thank you in advance.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi spoofy13,

Try this kb to resolve the form can't be opened issue.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2283766

Please check the FIP states here.
    1. Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Extend Local Policies > Click Security Options > Double click System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption. hashing. and signing > Select Disabled > OK.
    2. Start > Run > type regedt32.exe > OK > Extend HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Click Lsa > Double click fipsalgorithmpolicy > change the value to 0 > OK.
    3. Also you can try to modify the web.config, replace the <machineKey validationKey="(A string)" decryptionKey="(another string)" validation="SHA1"/> to <machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate" decryptionKey="AutoGenerate" validation="SHA1"/> to ensure you are not running into any encryption/decryption issue while running workflows.
    4. Try this
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnfa/archive/2008/03/14/disabling-the-fips-algorithm-check.aspx.

Did you meet this error in all sites or the sites created by a special site template? If only the sites created by a special site template, please redeploy it.
    If the problem persisted, could you please provide ULS logs and event logs to us?

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, April 22, 2011 3:04 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:40 AM

All replies

• Can you check the logs and give details of error you are getting.

Also in web.config change Custom Error = "Off". it will give more meaningfull error.

Dare to promise
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hi spoofy13,

Have you enabled Federal Information Processing Standard algorithm on your SharePoint server? If so, please try the solution in KB2000371.

Best regards,
    Emir

Monday, April 18, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Hi spoofy13,

Have you enabled Federal Information Processing Standard algorithm on your SharePoint server? If so, please try the solution in KB2000371.

Best regards,
    Emir

Emir, Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately we have already tried that and we checked the entire policy string and there is no FIPS set to enabled anywhere.... Spoofy13
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hi spoofy13,

Try this kb to resolve the form can't be opened issue.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2283766

Please check the FIP states here.
    1. Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Extend Local Policies > Click Security Options > Double click System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption. hashing. and signing > Select Disabled > OK.
    2. Start > Run > type regedt32.exe > OK > Extend HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Click Lsa > Double click fipsalgorithmpolicy > change the value to 0 > OK.
    3. Also you can try to modify the web.config, replace the <machineKey validationKey="(A string)" decryptionKey="(another string)" validation="SHA1"/> to <machineKey validationKey="AutoGenerate" decryptionKey="AutoGenerate" validation="SHA1"/> to ensure you are not running into any encryption/decryption issue while running workflows.
    4. Try this
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnfa/archive/2008/03/14/disabling-the-fips-algorithm-check.aspx.

Did you meet this error in all sites or the sites created by a special site template? If only the sites created by a special site template, please redeploy it.
    If the problem persisted, could you please provide ULS logs and event logs to us?

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Friday, April 22, 2011 3:04 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:40 AM