none
Word add-ins and the Internet zone RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

One of our customers is running an add-in we created for Word on systems inside their domain, but the add-in doesn't load when the Protected Mode for the Internet zone is disabled (Protected Mode of the Restricted sites zone is enabled). Word opens a task pane and then gives a generic error message that an error occurred while running the add-in. The Windows event viewer doesn't give any additional information that's useful.

I ran Wireshark and Fiddler to see what happens to the requests, but it appears that the request for the HTML that forms the entry point of the application is never even sent in the first place. It appears that Word just refuses to send a request when the Protected Mode is disabled. Note that the server that hosts the add-in is also inside the domain.

This only happens to systems inside the domain. It seems to me that Word requires some additional files from the internet before the add-in is run, and it refuses to do so because the request is made from inside the domain. I couldn't find any documentation on how Word interacts with the settings of the Internet zone. The only thing I found is that Protected Mode of the Restricted sites zone must be enabled (which it is).

The problem definitely isn't with our application or the manifest, because the problem persists when we use the example add-in from this page: https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/word/word-add-ins?product=word

I would like to know what causes this, and if there is a way to run the add-in with the Protected Mode of the Internet zone disabled.

Kind regards,

Stephan van Hulst

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hello Stephan,

I suggest you make below tests to narrow down this issue.

1. To check whether it is related with your add-ins and hosting environment, I suggest you make a test add-in from Word Store

2. To check whether it is related any settings from the Sub domain, I suggest you make a test with other sub domains.

3. If you host the add-in outside the sub domain, and then access it from sub domain, will this issue still exist?

4. Can you access the web site page from IE directly in the Sub Domain?

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 7:05 AM