password for NT SERVICE\SQLServerReportingServices RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am using MS Reporting Services 2019. I configured it to run under the "NT SERVICE\SQLServerReportingServices" user, i.e. I chose the built-in "Virtual Service Account" as the "service account" in the Configuration Manager and it created "NT SERVICE\SQLServerReportingServices" for me. I can now see this user on my SQL Server instance, and I have given all the necessary database permissions to this login.

Now I would like to use this account in a Shared Data Source. I would like to utilize it as the user who connects to my data on the SQL Server instance. I have gone to the Web-portal -> DataSources -> Manage -> Properties, chose "using the following credentials (windows user name and password)". But it keeps asking me to enter the password for that user, and I do not know it. While creating that user through SSRS configuration manager I do not remember being asked to specify any password. And if I leave it blank while setting up the Shared Data Source, the connection does not work with the "Log on failed. Ensure the user name and password are correct" error.

Could anyone help me on this, please? - how can I configure my Data Source to use the "NT SERVICE\SQLServerReportingServices" account to authorize on SQL Server instance?

-- Richardo

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 3:39 PM

Answers

• The service sid isn't interactive like this. Use a domain account or sql login for this.

-Sean

The views, opinions, and posts do not reflect those of my company and are solely my own. No warranty, service, or results are expressed or implied.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

Virtual Service Account represents the windows service. It is a built-in least-privilege account that has network log on permissions. This account is recommended if you don't have a domain user account available or if you want to avoid any service disruptions that might occur as a result of password expiration policies.

By design, the virtual account is not suitable for the task as you required.

For your need you could set a domain account that has costumed privilege, that used only for running SSRS and access data source,  SQL Server database or else.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:17 AM

All replies

• The service sid isn't interactive like this. Use a domain account or sql login for this.

-Sean

The views, opinions, and posts do not reflect those of my company and are solely my own. No warranty, service, or results are expressed or implied.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:44 PM
  • Thanks. Are those the only options? There is no way to configure the Data Source to use the service account?
    Wednesday, April 29, 2020 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

Virtual Service Account represents the windows service. It is a built-in least-privilege account that has network log on permissions. This account is recommended if you don't have a domain user account available or if you want to avoid any service disruptions that might occur as a result of password expiration policies.

By design, the virtual account is not suitable for the task as you required.

For your need you could set a domain account that has costumed privilege, that used only for running SSRS and access data source,  SQL Server database or else.

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 3:17 AM
  • Thank you, Lukas :)

Yep, that is what I am trying to accomplish - trying to avoid creating a domain account to eliminate the need of dealing with our domain password policies. Our SSRS ans SQL Server (data source) instances are on the same box, and right now there is no necessity for them to reach out to anything on the network, so I am thinking of creating a local user, run SSRS service under it, and give the necessary permissions to it on the SQL Server instance. From your experience, is it a good idea? :)

-- Richardo

Thursday, April 30, 2020 10:09 AM
  • Hi Richardo,

You could keep the virtual account for the way it is now, and use a local account for accessing data on the on-premise SQL Server.  

Friday, May 1, 2020 3:25 AM
  • Thank you guys so much for your help!

-- Richardo

Friday, May 1, 2020 6:19 PM