Using .Net web pages in mobile devices RRS feed

• Question

• User33524104 posted

Hi,

1)I have a ASP.Net web page and i would like to port it for mobile devices
    like PDA and Smartphones. Is it necessary that i have to re-write the application in Mobile web application? If so, what is the advantage?

2) If i have to convert the web page to Mobile web application page, is it enough that i convert the usercontrols and the aspx pages to Mobile user controls and mobile web forms and use mobile controls in these pages? 
    3)Is it necessary that all the controls in the mobile web forms should be 
    'mobile controls'?

4)What is the mobile control available corresponding to the table, div, 
    span, dataview, hiddenfileds etc.

Thanks,
    Lekshmi
    Tuesday, December 5, 2006 12:50 AM

All replies

• User598741127 posted

Hi,

It depends on the version of .NET Framework you are using.

In .NET Framework 1.x versions you had the MMIT which helps you in developing Mobile Web Applicaitons which can be rendered on Smart Phones and other Mobile Devices.

.NET Framework 2.0 provides ASP.NET 2.0 which is XHTML Complaint and can be directly rendered on Mobile Devices with the same code base.

That is, your ASP.NET Web Pages can also be rendered on Mobile Devices.

However, if you are more specific about developing a Mobile only applicaiton, check http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/31198

Thanks.

Regards,

Harish. 

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 2:08 AM
  • User33524104 posted

Thanks for the reply.

The application is in .Net 1.1 and when i accessed the app in the smartphone(WM 5.0) some of the controls like datagrid did not get rendered properly.

But the existing app has many controls like table, div, span, dataview, hiddenfileds, updatepanel, WebPartConnection etc. is there any mobile in VS.Net 2005?

Thanks,

Lekshmi

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 3:15 AM