none
The ever popular: where's my icon question?

Question

• It seems like specifying an icon for a project involves voodoo. I get it to finally work and then forget how to do it until the next time I need it which is usually a year since the last time.

As you can see, I've specified an icon (Icon1.ico) in this screen shot:

But when I run the project:

Only the dreaded 'no icon' appears. I've dumped the Icon cache. Any other ideas? I'm running Visual Studio 2010 and Windows 7. Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if you navigate to the output folder (where the .exe is stored), which icon is displayed for the exe? If there the correct icon is shown, you will probably have to clear the icon cache again (I dont even know, if the taskbar icons of the new taskbar are still stored there...) :-) - or just wait a couple of newstarts...

Regards,

Thorsten

• Marked as answer by Zetar Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

if you navigate to the output folder (where the .exe is stored), which icon is displayed for the exe? If there the correct icon is shown, you will probably have to clear the icon cache again (I dont even know, if the taskbar icons of the new taskbar are still stored there...) :-) - or just wait a couple of newstarts...

Regards,

Thorsten

• Marked as answer by Zetar Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:19 PM
  • Hey! The correct icon is displayed in /Debug! But it doesn't appear in the tray when I'm working on it in Visual Studio. Maybe another reboot? Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:24 PM
  • ... additionally some things to inspect:

do you run the debug version, do you run it directly? or start it from the IDE (maybe with the vs-host-process)?

Regards,

Thorsten

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:33 PM
  • I run it from the IDE. I'm not positive, but I thought Visual Studio would pick up on the icon when running it from the IDE. Like I said, it's been at least a year since I've done this.
    Wednesday, February 08, 2017 7:44 PM
  • I run it from the IDE. I'm not positive, but I thought Visual Studio would pick up on the icon when running it from the IDE.

Hi,

yes, usually it will show the correct icon, when running from the IDE...

Maybe do a test with a completely new application. Just a form thats shown. Assign an icon in the project properties and run it from the IDE.

Regards,

Thorsten

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 8:39 PM