Why do I need to provide credit card information as a student? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm a student and would like to publish my Windows 8 apps. I got a token via Dreamspark AND I got a token by passing an Apps Excellence Lab. Everything is set. My app is ready, I have the tokens, ... ...but I don't have a credit card.

Why do I need to provide credit card details when I don't have to pay for the account and want to provide my app for free in the store?

Well you could tell me now that the Windows 8 dev tool won't charge me. But what about the Windows 8 Music store, Video store, Windows Azure, ... Any wrong click and I'm doomed once I submitted a credit card information.. :-/

Is there any way to get around this credit card form?

Andreas 

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 10:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Andreasbalzer,

The following link is a good post for information on Dreamspark and Windows Store Developer.  In order to register on the Windows Store you need to be 18 years of age or the age of majority in your location and have a Microsoft Account and have a credit card account.

Having a credit card account is required to prove identification and also that you meet the age requirements. There is no way round this, as this is one of the requirement for access to the Windows Store.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by kongwenbin Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:06 PM

All replies

• I have the same question,  is it to receive money or to make a payment?
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:58 PM
  • @andrewscott48210: This is my personal opinion: Considering the dev account: For you to recieve payments. For all other Microsoft services: You can figure it out when being charged. ;-) I don't care for what they want to use that data. I don't have a credit card, I cannot provide it.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:35 AM
  • I think they use for automatic billing next year, since you might not be a student.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Well I would expect my account to be closed/frozen but not to be confronted with an automated billing.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:54 AM
  • That would make sense, but when I signed up for my BizSpark paid Windows store account, I too had to put in the credit card. It said it was for auto billing after my free one year was up.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:05 AM
  • I am a student too and planned to publish my app in the store. I read everywhere that students get free access to a Store account so I never thought much about the requirements for sign-up. My app is almost ready for publishing, I got my Dreamspark account and my Store access key, and now I can't proceed because I don't have a credit card. :(

I think everything should be done to make publishing apps as easy as possible and only very few students have a credit card. Please think about adding alternative payment methods or the option to get a student account without having to provide credit card details.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:45 PM
  • Hi Andreasbalzer,

The following link is a good post for information on Dreamspark and Windows Store Developer.  In order to register on the Windows Store you need to be 18 years of age or the age of majority in your location and have a Microsoft Account and have a credit card account.

Having a credit card account is required to prove identification and also that you meet the age requirements. There is no way round this, as this is one of the requirement for access to the Windows Store.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by mark_1h Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Hi Andreasbalzer,

Thanks

Wouldn't a copy of a state Id card do that?  I know you care about our privacy but wouldn't a credit card also expose one's privacy?
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:42 PM
  • No matter how we emphasize that we are still student, as a company, they will still want to make a profit from whatever decisions they made. By right, the system is to charge any developer $60 for the store key, via a credit card, of course. Yes, they provided on DreamSpark Premium, a key for us (students) to waive off the $60 payment, but the system is designed in a way that regardless of the price to pay, it will still go through the part where we have to enter credit card information - they don't see a need to waive off that procedure along with the waiving of store key $60 charges.

Why is there not a need? --> the credit card information is a way for them to earn profit from you guys in a long run. therefore they need you to enter it. waiving off the $60 is the most they could offer you, but not the credit card information -- waiving it off doesn't help the company at all.

However, I'm quite sure that the system works like Windows Azure; once it's over, it will just stop the service. I don't think they will auto bill us when we are no longer a student. It just doesn't make sense.

Thanks.

• Unproposed as answer by kongwenbin Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:49 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Pratik Chheda Friday, January 10, 2014 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Hello mark_1h,

Having a credit card account is required to prove identification and also that you meet the age requirements. There is no way round this, as this is one of the requirement for access to the Windows

Unfortunately you are wrong with this. There are plenty of alternatives. The Windows Phone store used/and possibily still uses a third party certification provider that checked ones passport. Even Amazon manages to sell you goods without requiring a credit card.

The only reason we have to provide a credit card is, because someone at Microsoft didn't think this all the way through. The majority of students (at university and especially at highschool) and especially outside of the US do not own a credit card.

I cannot by any means ask my parents to hand out theirs as Microsoft is not able to prove me that they won't use that data elsewhere (e.g. music-store when my Windows Phone malfunctions again and presses buttons automatically without me touching my phone).

In my opinion there are exactly three possible outcomes:

• I pay >30$ a year for a credit card to write an app where I don't even know whether I am able to get a single penny out of it
      • Someone at Microsoft fixes this
      • I just move to a platform that allows me to publish and sell apps without having to provide a credit Card.

Honestly I would prefer option 2. There are plenty of possibilities: e.g. PayPal or a certification provider to scan IDs.

Andreas

• Proposed as answer by r603 Monday, October 1, 2012 1:11 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Hi Andreasbalzer,

Thanks

Does the Registration accept prepaid cards?
    Monday, September 17, 2012 8:18 PM
  • It is not possible for a student to obtain a credit card in my country. There should be an option for us to upload our government issued ID card as a proof of identification and also to check if we meet the age requirement. There are 10s of my friends who are not able to upload apps to windows store because of this problem. 
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Why arent debit cards allowed? why only credit cards? It is possible to prove identification and age requirements using Debit cards too! 

For a student, its impossible to get a credit card in India. All I have is a debit card, which I tried to authorize a  payment and it didnt work!

Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Debit Cards are provided to all the account holders even the Students below 18 years. Credit Cards are given to the ones who are 18 years or more and having certain income.
    • Proposed as answer by Incredible CP Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:15 PM
  • I hope that Microsoft give the possibility to use a prepaid credit card at soon.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:41 PM
  • I thought I would publish an app to Windows store. But now I know I can't.

I don't have a credit card.

Off to Android (Play) store. :D

Microsoft is going to regret it's recent decisions in the long run. You are already loosing market share in the OS thingy. :\

Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:25 PM
  • Here in Holland, only a few people has a credit card. Isn't there a way to create a AppDev account without credit card? Otherwise i call them xD
    Friday, May 3, 2013 9:55 AM
  • [...] and having certain income.

Exactly! As a newly founded development studio we don't have any INCOME, we don't GET a credit card, we can NOT register to put our finished game in the store. WE ARE PISSED. We were running from bank to bank and trying different things since two months, we won't get one. And since it is NOT CLEAR if the credit card data is used for other payments we can not simply use our parent's/spouses/friends credit card data.

Microsoft there are other ways to validate age and identity! Many people outside the US don't have credit cards.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 8:02 AM
  • I'm pretty that just about every American college student has a credit card; atleast all the ones I know do.

If you do only have a debit card, you should really consider getting a credit card instead. It's cheaper. I don't pay $30 a year (visa plat rewards card - no yearly fee). I get 1% cash back on my purchases via credit. Stop looking at crappy credit cards.

If you live outside of America, where apparently credit cards are less popular, couldn't you just borrow your parents?

That windows phone malfunction excuse sounds unlikely.

Sorry, I think I came out a little harsh. Regardless, good luck getting that dev account set up.
    • Edited by JFifty Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:50 PM made it sound nicer
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Not everyone has a credit card in the USA, and not everybody can afford one, with the high cost of repayment.
    Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Hello mark_1h,

Having a credit card account is required to prove identification and also that you meet the age requirements. There is no way round this, as this is one of the requirement for access to the Windows

Unfortunately you are wrong with this. There are plenty of alternatives. The Windows Phone store used/and possibily still uses a third party certification provider that checked ones passport. Even Amazon manages to sell you goods without requiring a credit card.

The only reason we have to provide a credit card is, because someone at Microsoft didn't think this all the way through. The majority of students (at university and especially at highschool) and especially outside of the US do not own a credit card.

I cannot by any means ask my parents to hand out theirs as Microsoft is not able to prove me that they won't use that data elsewhere (e.g. music-store when my Windows Phone malfunctions again and presses buttons automatically without me touching my phone).

In my opinion there are exactly three possible outcomes:

• I pay >30$ a year for a credit card to write an app where I don't even know whether I am able to get a single penny out of it
      • Someone at Microsoft fixes this
      • I just move to a platform that allows me to publish and sell apps without having to provide a credit Card.

Honestly I would prefer option 2. There are plenty of possibilities: e.g. PayPal or a certification provider to scan IDs.

Andreas

Yes Microsoft think through this
    Friday, January 10, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Does my Credit Card info go to NSA ?
    Friday, January 10, 2014 1:35 PM
  • I am 26. Here in Bangladesh, only big company with mass $$$ get credit card, let alone parents. I have contacted banks after banks. Know what they said? You have to earn 2K dollar every month or you must have 51K dollar in your bank account. Also you must have TIN. Only then they will CONSIDER a credit card for you.You can safely assume that I will not be getting a credit card, atleast soon. Now I am just a starting indie developer. How come a sane human expect me to be eligible for credit card, NOW??!! I have debit card or prepaid credit card. While registering for windows store developer program, I came to know debit card is not supported. Dear microsoft, with these situations, how can you expect me to develop for your platform? Documents says, it needs identification, so credit card. I have government issued national ID card, birth certificate. Can you not verify me with these???!!!! Even if I want to support this platform, payment stupidity of microsoft is holding me back.
    Monday, February 3, 2014 3:05 PM
  • first get a verified  dreamspark account .  check u r school is listed on if not then manual verification type deatils then scan and  uplaod your school id card(photo on that). you will get a code on your email . it will 2 to 5 days . got code immediately verify . verified after login your dreamspark account . app development windows 8 Get your Registration Code .

Windows Store Registration page   sign up . you can use visa verified debitcard (cvv) .

Monday, February 3, 2014 3:29 PM
  • I used Visa debitcard
    but now it says you need to verify you payment method and when I try to verify it says cannot connect to service. 
    m
    Monday, February 3, 2014 3:37 PM
  • So, if someone does not have a credit card, can he/she use another person's one and get registered?
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:49 AM
  • its already  verified Developer Account , just look at the date your account Expiration (Thursday , January 22, 2015). 

and you need to verify your payment . your payment add your Bank account number , Address etc  ... check on Payout  

• Edited by luna_luna Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:44 AM