Add a list from template RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a duplicate list by saving the list as a template. This template is entered into the list template gallery but how do i get this onto my page?

Thanks

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:08 PM

Answers

• I am not sure,but there should not be any problem. I will just try to point out steps what exactly happens while recreating a list using list template -

1. Save list as template --> it will ask File name and template name, suppose you gave "OrderList"

2. when list is created, a page appears with message - To manage templates in the gallery, go to the list template gallery.

3. You can check a list template name "OrderList" is created.

4. Now, one point when you go to list template gallery, you go to Top level site. And I guess your list might be on Sub site.

5. So go to your sub site (Where your list is located). now go to Site Actions--> Create (Add new library......)
        This will take you to another page where you will be having default options as well as new link with "OrderList".

With this link you can recreate a new List.

I hope this may solve your problem.

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:33 AM

• Steps:

1. Save your custom list as List template.
    2. site actions > create.
    3  See under custom Lists. List templates are available there.

Regards,
    Shridha

Friday, April 25, 2008 11:49 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Site Action > Create.

The page contains your List template.

Use it to create a list.

thats it.

Regards,

shridha

• Proposed as answer by shridha Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:02 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Steven AndrewsEditor Monday, June 10, 2013 11:21 AM
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:22 PM
  • If the list-template is saved to the gallery, Go Site Actions --> Create

You'd have option to create as list of type "Your Custom List". This way you can createlist from your custom templates

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:23 PM
  • None of the items in my list template gallery showup when i use Site Action Create. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:39 AM
  • I am not sure,but there should not be any problem. I will just try to point out steps what exactly happens while recreating a list using list template -

1. Save list as template --> it will ask File name and template name, suppose you gave "OrderList"

2. when list is created, a page appears with message - To manage templates in the gallery, go to the list template gallery.

3. You can check a list template name "OrderList" is created.

4. Now, one point when you go to list template gallery, you go to Top level site. And I guess your list might be on Sub site.

5. So go to your sub site (Where your list is located). now go to Site Actions--> Create (Add new library......)
        This will take you to another page where you will be having default options as well as new link with "OrderList".

With this link you can recreate a new List.

I hope this may solve your problem.

Friday, April 25, 2008 10:33 AM

• Steps:

1. Save your custom list as List template.
    2. site actions > create.
    3  See under custom Lists. List templates are available there.

Regards,
    Shridha

Friday, April 25, 2008 11:49 AM
  • If what you  are missing is the items on the list, maybe it is because when you save it as a template you did not checked "Include Content"

Hope it helps Smile

-Cris

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:44 PM