The value is too large to fit in the column data area of the buffer? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a variable nvarchar(1000) that I ma reading into the buffer of a data flow task in the script component script task. It gives me this error:

"Script component exception.........The value is too large to fit in the column data area of the buffer."

I looked at the BufferColumn members and tried to set the maxlength to 1500. But it does not help.

What is  the solution?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:42 PM

Answers

• I finally got it working.

What I did was set the size of the string in the output column to be bigger than that of the original string.

Well, it worked !

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:32 PM

All replies

• What is the existing size of this column in your data flow buffer?

If you are building a synchronous transformation, you do not have the option to increase the size of columns in the buffer - you can only re-use the existing columns.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms136114.aspx

If you are bulding an asynchronous transformation, you have more flexibility here, but also have the performance implications of copying all of your data into a new memory buffer.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms136133.aspx

If this doesn't give you what you need, can you please post more information about your data flow, such as the type of data source component you're using, how that source is configured, and exactly how you've set up the Script component?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:01 PM
  • I am using an OLE DB source as the data source component.

The script component takes the data from here and uses a script task which retrieves some data using the inputs.

The script components output columns have been defined as needed.

The script component throws an exception when the output buffer size is too small for one of my variables in the script task.

I am wondering what I can do to increase the buffer size for output buffer.

Both my variable and my output buffer variables are strings.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:18 PM
  • What is the width of the column in question, as defiend by the OLE DB source?

What type of transform are you implementing with the Script component - synchronous or asynchronous?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:50 PM
  • It is asynchronous transformation.

The column is not an input by OLE DB source. I am using the Ole db input columns in order to retrieve this columns.

The column length is nvarchar(1000) ot DT_STR 1000.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:01 PM
  • I think the problem is that my variable is way too big to be stored in the output buffer. There must be a way to increase the size of the column output buffer for the Script Component in the Data flow task.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:00 PM
  •  MissABC wrote:
    There must be a way to increase the size of the column output buffer for the Script Component in the Data flow task.

There is not. You can add a new output column to an asynch transform, but you cannot modify the size of existing columns.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:14 PM
  • This is the exact error:

"

Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.DoesNotFitBufferException: The value is too large to fit in the column data area of the buffer.

"

Please let me know what I can do about it.

I have tried changing the default buffer size of the data flow task.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:20 PM
  • How big is the largest value in the field you're trying to work with? How many bytes wide is the data for the largest row?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:35 AM
  • I finally got it working.

What I did was set the size of the string in the output column to be bigger than that of the original string.

Well, it worked !

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:32 PM
  • Thanks MissABC,

I also had a same problem. I solved it by increasing size of Output column. But why it is not taking same size as output string ?
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:23 PM