BIDS debug fails with "Login failed for user" error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I configured my packages to user package configurations, but when i try to debug a package in BIDS in get the following error in the execution results tab :

[Connection manager "XXXXXXXXXX"] Error: An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80040E4D. An OLE DB record is available.  Source: "Microsoft SQL Native Client"  Hresult: 0x80040E4D  Description: "Login failed for user 'XXXXXXX'.".

Edit.

Now the degub works but after i deply the package to the sql server the package execution fails and the following is written into sql server errorlog

2008-03-17 15:56:31.71 Logon       Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.
    2008-03-17 15:56:31.71 Logon       Login failed for user 'XXXXXXX'. [CLIENT: <local machine>]

The state 8 indicates bad password, but it isnt... because logging into sql server with that user and password works.

Monday, March 17, 2008 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hello

Thank you for the reply ^^

I wasnt succesfull at storing the package configurations into the database so i had to put everything into xml file.

Now when i run the job from SQL Server agent it succesfully completes.

Ps. I had all the configurations in the database so i didnt expect that the dontsavesensitive would have been problem, since i stored the connection string also and added the "Password=xxxxx" command after the user id part. Still it would fail to execute... BUT now it works Smile

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:50 PM

All replies

• When using "DontSaveSensitive" this is the behavior to expect.

It sounds like you are up and running now?  If so, can you post a reply here and mark your reply as the answer?

Thanks,

Phil

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Hello

Thank you for the reply ^^

I wasnt succesfull at storing the package configurations into the database so i had to put everything into xml file.

Now when i run the job from SQL Server agent it succesfully completes.

Ps. I had all the configurations in the database so i didnt expect that the dontsavesensitive would have been problem, since i stored the connection string also and added the "Password=xxxxx" command after the user id part. Still it would fail to execute... BUT now it works Smile

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:50 PM
  • may i know what the xml format is, how it done? where should it be saved?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:05 AM