System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "ASPNETDB" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'Philip-Desktop\Philip'. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm been struggling to find an answer to this problem for hours now...

I use to not get this error while accessing the ASPNETDB database, but unfortunately I don't know what I changed. The error comes up when I try to access a file called Admin.aspx I have in a folder called Admin. I had restrictions set on this folder using the Web Site Administration Tool, but when the error came up I took them all of them off to see what the problem was and I still get the error?? The Admin.aspx file is the only one that gets the error..

My connection string in web.config is: 

<

add name="WIJLConnectionString1" connectionString="Data Source=localhost;Integrated Security=SSPI; Initial Catalog=ASPNETDB"
          providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Here is the error:

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "ASPNETDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'Philip-Desktop\Philip'.

[SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "ASPNETDB" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'Philip-Desktop\Philip'.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +5009598
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning() +234
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +2275
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK) +35
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnection owningObject) +183
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, TimeoutTimer timeout) +239
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +195
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +232
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +185
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +33
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject) +524
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) +479
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +108
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +126
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +125
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +123
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +319
       System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +92
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1618
       System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +21
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +143
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +74
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() +4
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +66
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +75
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496

Someone please help!! I'm desperate at this point

Thursday, February 3, 2011 5:38 AM

Answers

• The most obvious would be to check the permissions for user Philip-Desktop\Philip.

Second, did you drop the database ASPNETDB or is in not in an online state? If the user has a default database that doesn't exists the connection failes unless you specify a database.

Robert Hartskeerl - http://sqlblog.hartskeerl.nl - http://twitter.com/rhartskeerl
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:01 AM