none
Switching isolation mode for existing container RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I can create either a Windows Server container or a Hyper-V container just fine.

This will create and start a Windows Server container: docker run -d --name iis-svr1 mhb/iisaspdemo ping -t localhost

This will create and start a Hyper-V container: docker run -d --isolation=hyperv --name iis-hv-01 mhb/iisaspdemo ping -t localhost

If i then use the command: docker inspect <containername> and look for isolation tag in the output, it will say either Process (for Windows Server container) or HyperV for a Hyper-V container.

Is there any way of convert a existing Windows Server container to a Hyper-V container using docker and what command would I use.

/Michael Bcuhardt

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:19 PM

All replies

• Once a container is running I don't think it's possible to to convert.

Is there any reason you can't just kill the container and spin up a new one in the isolated runtime?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Hi Myles

I know that I cannot make the change on a running container. Let's say that I execute the command: docker run -d --name iis-svr1 mhb/iisaspdemo ping -t localhost

I now have a running container called iis-svr1 and it is running as a Windows Server container (process isolation mode). I now stop the container and would like to change the isolation mode to Hyper-V. Which docker command should I use to do that.

I cannot use the docker run -d --isolation=hyperv --name iis-hv-01 mhb/iisaspdemo ping -t localhost because docker complains about the container already exists and the docker start command does not include the --isolation flag.

/Michael Buchardt

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:45 PM
  • Ah OK thanks for explaining further!

I think I know what your issue is now.  

When you exit a container, you still have an exited copy of the container on your system.  This can be used to start a new container of the same type faster.  But since you can't convert a Server container to a Hyper-V container, if they have the same name you'll run into problems.

To list exited containers, you can use this command:

docker ps -a -f status=exited

To remove stopped containers, you can use this command.

$ docker rm $(docker ps -a -q)

The rm command is documented further on the Docker docs here 

Let me know if this works or doesn't.  Happy to help further :)

Cheers,

Myles

• Proposed as answer by Myles Keating Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:38 PM
    Friday, April 28, 2017 6:35 PM