none
Building an offline installer for VS2017 RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to build an offline installer[1] using component versions[2] other than the very latest? Or, is there a way to otherwise install previous releases of Visual Studio 2017, in case a later release introduces a bug or regression?

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/create-an-offline-installation-of-visual-studio

[2] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-community

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

Thank you for quick reply/answer.

1) I'm using Visual Studio 2017 Pro. version 15.1 (26403.0). It must be the latest at this time. and I have never found any problem, except its slow starting-up.

2) Now, I'm making an offline install of VS2107 Commnunity. It takes long time... (It's not a matter, for all I need is only to wait)

3) No, I also wasn't able to find previous builds in the open field. But if you are a MSDN subscriber, you can download previous version from MSDN site).
    ... making an offline installer has just completed.
    the folder for offline installer has folders:2,997, files:3,679. total size is 7.6 GB.

I recommend you to make an offline install of VS2017 Community, the latest version/build, instead of previous one.
    Friday, April 14, 2017 3:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

I'd like to confirm:
    (1) What kind of bug or regression did you find?  Would you explain it?
    (2) Which edition of VS2017, and version/build are you using?
    (3) Have you tried the way [1]?
    Friday, April 14, 2017 2:35 AM
  • Hi Hideki,

1) I haven't run into any problem with an update yet--I'm just wary of the potential that I might run into one and not be able to install a previous build unless I'd kept an offline installer for it.

2) I assume this should apply to any version, but I'm using Community.

3) I wasn't able to find any documentation or notes about how to fetch previous builds--just the latest one.

Friday, April 14, 2017 2:45 AM
  • Hi Mark,

Thank you for quick reply/answer.

1) I'm using Visual Studio 2017 Pro. version 15.1 (26403.0). It must be the latest at this time. and I have never found any problem, except its slow starting-up.

2) Now, I'm making an offline install of VS2107 Commnunity. It takes long time... (It's not a matter, for all I need is only to wait)

3) No, I also wasn't able to find previous builds in the open field. But if you are a MSDN subscriber, you can download previous version from MSDN site).
    ... making an offline installer has just completed.
    the folder for offline installer has folders:2,997, files:3,679. total size is 7.6 GB.

I recommend you to make an offline install of VS2017 Community, the latest version/build, instead of previous one.
    Friday, April 14, 2017 3:09 AM