Solutions based on PowerPivot for Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'd like if it exists any solutions based on PowerPivot that allows the write-back feature to write data from PowerPivot to fe a SQL Server database/dwh to financial purposes.

Fe I've found PowerPlanner solution (www.power-planner.com).

Many thanks

Friday, September 7, 2012 7:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Pscorca,

I am not aware of any other solution like PowerPlanner, however, you *could* enable user input in two ways:

the 'cheap' (easy) way through PowerPivot linked tables.  This would have the not very user friendly consequence that any update on the table will require opening the PowerPivot window and refreshing the pivot table manually for the change to take effect.

the more elaborate way, requires SharePoint and consuming the PowerPivot model through other tools that better enable user input (like SSRS).  You can then capture the user parameters and process it as a DAX query against the PowerPivot model (with the results retrieved to SSRS)

Javier Guillen
    http://javierguillen.wordpress.com/

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:52 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• AFAIK, this feature is not supported.

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps
    Cheers, Raunak | t: @raunakjhawar | My Blog

Friday, September 7, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hi Raunak, I already know that write-back feature isn't supported in PowerPivot, but fe PowerPlanner is a solution based on PowerPivot that supports it.

I'd like to know other PowerPivot solutions like PowerPlanner.

Thanks

Friday, September 7, 2012 10:52 AM
  • PowePlanner is an ExcelAddin, Through That Addin He is given the facility to Import/Export/ Update the Data and based on that Data he is using the PowerPivot Addin to Create that DashBorad, So all the Data Adding and Other Manipulations are done through PowerPlanner Addin. So Those Sheets which Contain the Basic Data Needed for DashBorads Creation are been Utilized by PowerPivot to Create Charts/DashBoards. 

So it seems a solution intelligently built using the Power of PowerPivot and their own Addin.

And Coming to your Question "I'd like to know other PowerPivot solutions like PowerPlanner."

Yes, one can Create Varios Solutions like This, They Can Create their Own Addin to Import the Accounting data and Build a Model in Such a way that Using PowerPivot, Cash and FLow Statement, DayBooks, Profit and Loss Statements Can be Built. 

So Basically its simple An Addin to Maintain Data for your Business Model + the PowerPivot to build the Dashboard/Charts to make the meaning out of that Data.

Regards,

ManjunathRV

• Proposed as answer by Elvis Long Monday, September 10, 2012 5:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by pscorca Monday, September 10, 2012 6:46 AM
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Hi ManjunathRV, thanks for your reply, not properly in a good English.

I'd like to know if in the marketplace it exists another solution like PowerPlanner based on PowerPivot. Unfortunately, PowerPivot hasn't the write-back feature and so it isn't possible to write fe budget data on an accounting system. I'm not interesting to build a such solution with PowerPivot.

Many thanks

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Hi Pscorca,

I am not aware of any other solution like PowerPlanner, however, you *could* enable user input in two ways:

the 'cheap' (easy) way through PowerPivot linked tables.  This would have the not very user friendly consequence that any update on the table will require opening the PowerPivot window and refreshing the pivot table manually for the change to take effect.

the more elaborate way, requires SharePoint and consuming the PowerPivot model through other tools that better enable user input (like SSRS).  You can then capture the user parameters and process it as a DAX query against the PowerPivot model (with the results retrieved to SSRS)

Javier Guillen
    http://javierguillen.wordpress.com/

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Javier, and how writing the data inserted by the user into the accounting system (write-back feature)???

Thanks

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Pscorca,

Still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, October 27, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Hi Ed,

I hope that Microsoft will implement as soon as possible the write-back feature.

Thanks

Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:50 PM