Automate Report -> Excel -> OutLook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    A report must be run every monday thru friday and in the process, I want it automatically generate an e-mail that has the report attached to it.
    Also the subject and body must contain the sysdate and grand total of the report. The recipients are default, but it should be possible to alter them.
    This is possible I was told by using a subscription with a schedule.
    If I create a subscription, all I can choose for delivery is Windows File Share.
    Then I can select either Excel or Browser format, but not Outlook.
    How do I accomplish sending the report (attached as Excel) via Outlook?
    Thanks in advance, Jos

PS: If I want to save my subscription I get the error:

The SQL Agent service is not running. This operation requires the SQL Agent service. (rsSchedulerNotResponding) Get Online Help

Figures the SQL Agent service is not running, but not running on my computer or on the report server or on the database server?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Josje,

Reporting Services provides an e-mail delivery extension that allows users to subscribe to reports that are subsequently delivered to electronic mailboxes. The Report Server E-mail delivery extension must be configured before you can use it. Configuring a report server for e-mail delivery requires the following:

• A Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server or gateway.
    • An account that has permission to send e-mail from the SMTP server. Depending on security policies in your organization, you might need to request permission in advance to send e-mail from a corporate SMTP server. Check with your system or network administrator for more information.
    • The Report Server service must have Send As permissions on the SMTP server.

To configure report server e-mail, you can use the Reporting Services Configuration tool or you can edit the configuration files. The Reporting Services Configuration tool provides the minimal settings that the report server requires. If you want to use a local SMTP service or specify advanced settings, modify the configuration files instead.

The Outlook is a client application to view an email.

A subscription job uses the SQL Agent Service to run in schedule. So, you should need to startup the SQL Server Agent service before subscribing a report.

For more information, please see:

How to: Configure a Report Server for E-mail Delivery (Reporting Services Configuration):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345234.aspx

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jin

Jin Chen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Josje Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:49 AM

All replies

• do u want to try data driven subscription?
    This might be one of the solution for your case

dsu
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:51 AM
  • however, you can also use SSIS and SSRS combination to achieve this.
    Lete me know if you need further help about this but i would suggest that look for the data driven subscription

Thanks

dsu
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Hi Josje,

Reporting Services provides an e-mail delivery extension that allows users to subscribe to reports that are subsequently delivered to electronic mailboxes. The Report Server E-mail delivery extension must be configured before you can use it. Configuring a report server for e-mail delivery requires the following:

• A Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server or gateway.
    • An account that has permission to send e-mail from the SMTP server. Depending on security policies in your organization, you might need to request permission in advance to send e-mail from a corporate SMTP server. Check with your system or network administrator for more information.
    • The Report Server service must have Send As permissions on the SMTP server.

To configure report server e-mail, you can use the Reporting Services Configuration tool or you can edit the configuration files. The Reporting Services Configuration tool provides the minimal settings that the report server requires. If you want to use a local SMTP service or specify advanced settings, modify the configuration files instead.

The Outlook is a client application to view an email.

A subscription job uses the SQL Agent Service to run in schedule. So, you should need to startup the SQL Server Agent service before subscribing a report.

For more information, please see:

How to: Configure a Report Server for E-mail Delivery (Reporting Services Configuration):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345234.aspx

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Jin

Jin Chen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Josje Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:49 AM
  • Hi Jin,

Thanks a lot, I will pass the info to our network maintenance guys. I am just a programmer, not qualified to install software.

Regards, Jos
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:11 AM