"Allow a workflow to be manually started from an item" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I'm using SHarePoint Designer and I noticed that there is an option to initiate a workflow "Allow a workflow to be manually started from an item."

I'm interested in knowing how a user would initiate the workflow if that option is checked. I noticed that the workflow name will show up in the list, but I don't see any options to start the workflow.

Also, is it possible to start a workflow that applies to a whole list or all the items in a document library?

Thanks!

Friday, June 3, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To answer the first part of your question, when you hover the mouse over an item in your library and click on the context menu, you click on "Workflows". Then a new page will show up where you can select your workflow then hit the start button.

Hope this helps.

- Corix

Saturday, June 4, 2011 3:20 AM
    1. Corix's answer is correct.  In addition to using the context menu, you can also click on a item to view its properties, and there will be a workflow tab in the toolbar.
    2. No, workflows start on individual items and affect individual items.  You can specify more than one item, but you can't specify all items of a list/lib.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To answer the first part of your question, when you hover the mouse over an item in your library and click on the context menu, you click on "Workflows". Then a new page will show up where you can select your workflow then hit the start button.

Hope this helps.

- Corix

Saturday, June 4, 2011 3:20 AM
    1. Corix's answer is correct.  In addition to using the context menu, you can also click on a item to view its properties, and there will be a workflow tab in the toolbar.
    2. No, workflows start on individual items and affect individual items.  You can specify more than one item, but you can't specify all items of a list/lib.

Saturday, June 4, 2011 4:02 AM
  • Thanks, guys! That "start" option is not on any of the menus described (there isn't even a workflow tab in the Item Properties menu as specified). The Sharepoint admin must have removed this option as we developers are unable to use it.

Oh well. Thanks for the information!

T

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Is your question answered, or do you need more information.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:47 AM