Error When Trying to Compile DirectX Samples

Question

• Hello I get some Errors when trying to compile DirectX Samples :D

Error 100 error C1107: could not find assembly 'Windows.Foundation.winmd': please specify the assembly search path using /AI or by setting the LIBPATH environment variable c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\include\vccorlib.h 294 1 MarbleMaze

Error 105 error C1107: could not find assembly 'Windows.Foundation.winmd': please specify the assembly search path using /AI or by setting the LIBPATH environment variable c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\include\vccorlib.h 294 1 MarbleMaze

Thanks

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you try to create a new Visual C++ DirectX application or did you download a DX sample? If the latter, which sample did you try?

For reference, I created a new DX Application and the skeleton compiled fine.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Additionally, ensure that the SDK is installed on the machine in along with the Visual Studio tools.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Hello I get some Errors when trying to compile DirectX Samples :D

Error 100 error C1107: could not find assembly 'Windows.Foundation.winmd': please specify the assembly search path using /AI or by setting the LIBPATH environment variable c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\include\vccorlib.h 294 1 MarbleMaze

Error 105 error C1107: could not find assembly 'Windows.Foundation.winmd': please specify the assembly search path using /AI or by setting the LIBPATH environment variable c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\include\vccorlib.h 294 1 MarbleMaze

Thanks

That happened to me because I tried to install VS11 Ultimate Developer Preview onto Windows 8 Developer Preview (without developer tools).   When I reformatted and reinstalled Windows 8 Developer Preview (with developer tools) first, the problem went away.  Now both VS11 Express Developer Preview and VS11 Ultimate Developer Preview compile Metro DirectX apps without error; however, I am still getting miscellaneous errors at runtime...

See Also:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithnativecode/thread/0128d9a7-39c4-410b-9471-7e7fc9574623

BTW: Mr. Edmonds' comment about installing the SDK is a very good one; unfortunately, I'm not sure what the link to that Metro SDK might be.  The only way I know of how "I" can get the SDK is to install Windows 8 Developer Preview (with developer tools).  In fact, I don't even seem to see the SDK listed as an option for my soon to expire MSDN Essentials subscription.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:23 PM
  • The SDK is not currently available separately, only with the Windows Developer Preview with developer tools (x64).  The versions of the Windows Developer Preview without the tools cannot be retrofitted to build Metro style apps.

See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/toolsforwinapps/thread/12057f17-2f6c-422e-836e-47bcb1656a5d

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:22 PM
    Owner
  • Hello

I Downloaded a 32 bit Version, I Need a FULL 64 Bit version to Compile C++ Metro App Style

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:11 PM
  • I have the x64 bit developer preview installed. i still get this error.

The library seems red when I try to add reference from that option.

Error 18 error C1107: could not find assembly 'Windows.Foundation.winmd': please specify the assembly search path using /AI or by setting the LIBPATH environment variable c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 11.0\vc\include\vccorlib.h 294 1 Simple3DGame

Any ideas?

foxjazz
    • Edited by foxjazz2 Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:22 AM
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Foxjazz,

Can you compile any of the DirectX samples?  Did you install the "Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)" from the ISO image?  Did you install anything else on the machine after that?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:19 PM