Failover on mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have one question, we have done manual failover on database mirroring but it is taking 45 minutes to do failover. Finally failover happend so what's the problem taken more time for failover? Can any one explain it?

Thanks,

Raveendra

Raveendra

Friday, May 4, 2012 11:23 AM

Answers

• My tip would be that you have a large number of VLFs in your database. Could you run a DBCC LOGINFO on the DB and tell us how many rows that returns?
    • Marked as answer by amber zhang Monday, May 14, 2012 7:51 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2012 6:11 AM
  • I agree with the above comment about the VLF's, you should look at your autogrowth settings and check the number of VLF's to a reasonable amount.  Also look at the size of your transaction log and the synchronization state of the databases at failover time, if they were synchronizing and not synchronized that could also potentially be an issue

Convert DTS to SSIS | Document SSIS | 30+ SSIS Tasks | Real-time SSIS Monitoring | Quick Starts | BI Blitz

Friday, May 11, 2012 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

May be latency issue or network related issue...

Thanks&Regards Siva G

Friday, May 4, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Hi,

This link should give you an insight into the failover process and may help you identify the cause of the delay you're experiencing http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187465.aspx

Friday, May 4, 2012 9:57 PM
  • My tip would be that you have a large number of VLFs in your database. Could you run a DBCC LOGINFO on the DB and tell us how many rows that returns?
    Monday, May 7, 2012 6:11 AM
  • I agree with the above comment about the VLF's, you should look at your autogrowth settings and check the number of VLF's to a reasonable amount.  Also look at the size of your transaction log and the synchronization state of the databases at failover time, if they were synchronizing and not synchronized that could also potentially be an issue

Convert DTS to SSIS | Document SSIS | 30+ SSIS Tasks | Real-time SSIS Monitoring | Quick Starts | BI Blitz

Friday, May 11, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi Lucifer,

This is one of the interview question. I had face one of the interview, while interviewer raised this question.Thanks for Quick Response.

Raveendra

Saturday, May 12, 2012 7:25 AM