How to connect SQL Server Analysis Services

Question

• How to connect SQL Server Analysis Services

Saurabh Srivastava

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hello Saurabh,

Currently there is no support for connecting to SQL Server Analysis Services from within "Data Explorer". However, this is high in our list of future data source additions.

Thanks,

M.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hello Saurabh,

Currently there is no support for connecting to SQL Server Analysis Services from within "Data Explorer". However, this is high in our list of future data source additions.

Thanks,

M.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:12 AM
  • Hi Miguel,

Are you planning on old-style SSAS (i.e. multidimensional), new-style (i.e. tabular), or both?

regards
    Jamie

ObjectStorageHelper<T> – A WinRT utility for Windows 8 | http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson

Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Personally, I don't think it's worth implementing anything for MDX/Multidimensional - using cubes as a source for other databases is usually a painful process. However, supporting DAX/Tabular/Excel Model/DAXMD data sources might be very useful indeed...

Chris

Check out my MS BI blog I also do SSAS, PowerPivot, MDX and DAX consultancy and run public SQL Server and BI training courses in the UK

Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:17 AM
  • Hello Chris:

I know there are less chances of pulling data from analysis services but there are cases when we only have access on analysis services and not its datamart. Moreover it will make this tool complete if we have option to pull data from analysis services just like PowerPivot.

Saurabh

Saurabh Srivastava

Monday, March 4, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Hello,

Actualy, I am in the same situation as Saurabh and I use Tabular Data Model to extract data from a multi dimentionnal database with a MDX query

Is there any chance to do the same with Data Explorer ?

Users usually have only access to olap database for adhoc queries but what about  extracting data in a context of self-service bi.

Stéphane

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:40 AM
  • I agree it would be a nice feature to have, but in my experience extracting data from SSAS for self-service BI or other purposes comes with some problems. For example, in SSAS you usually hide key columns from users to make the cube/tabular model more user friendly, but these are the columns you need to see to build a PowerPivot model. Also MDX queries can be very slow when returning large data sets, and even worse all the values in an MDX query are returned as variants so you need to cast them to the appropriate type before you can do anything useful with them. DAX queries are often much faster on larger volumes and do return typed columns, though.

Chris

Check out my MS BI blog I also do SSAS, PowerPivot, MDX and DAX consultancy and run public SQL Server and BI training courses in the UK

Monday, March 4, 2013 8:58 AM