none
howto develop desktop visio app RRS feed

• Question

• i am developing a small app in .net 20058, that needs to manipulate viso diagram images. it will load images and be able to write back after modification

do i need to have viso installed or just the sdk?

can i read/write and manipulate visio images in my app?

pleas point me resources where i can learn how to do this

thanks

Do you know we will see our dead loved one again? John 5:25

• Edited by Oghenez Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:37 AM
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVPModerator Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:41 PM Visio-related (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Oghenez

As you're not going to use the VSTO technology - which runs in-process with a host Office application - I'm going to move your question to the General Office Development forum where Visio development quesitons are fielded.

I'm not a Visio expert by any means, but I can answer your first question: You must have Visio installed in order to automate it ("interop").

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Oghenez Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Oghenez

As you're not going to use the VSTO technology - which runs in-process with a host Office application - I'm going to move your question to the General Office Development forum where Visio development quesitons are fielded.

I'm not a Visio expert by any means, but I can answer your first question: You must have Visio installed in order to automate it ("interop").

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP

• Marked as answer by Oghenez Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:41 PM
  • Probably better asking in a Visio specific forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visiogeneral/threads

You will need Visio installed to use any of its features. The SDK will give you documents, tools and examples of how to do things.

The SDK is vital.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Engineering and software shapes for Visio - http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:19 PM