none
HTML5 YouTube video tag support possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to develop an extension that will enable Internet Explorer 6(Windows ME and XP), Internet Explorer 7 and IE8 to support the HTML5 video tag that YouTube uses so users can watch youtube videos without using adobe flash?

IE6 doesn't support HTML5 and I don't think IE7 and IE8 do either. I know a software for IE6 from Google called "chrome frame" makes this possible, but it doesn't work on Windows ME and may make IE less secure.

Friday, March 26, 2010 4:07 AM

All replies

• 
    rydaz wrote:
    > Is it possible to develop an extension that will enable Internet Explorer 6(Windows ME and XP), Internet Explorer 7 and IE8 to
    > support the HTML5 video tag that YouTube uses so users can watch youtube videos without using adobe flash?

One can implement custom tags using behaviors:

However, with custom tag or otherwise, that video isn't going to play itself. You would have to either use Flash player anyway, or implement your own that would be substantially similar to Flash. I fail to see the point of the exercise.
    --
    Igor Tandetnik
    Friday, March 26, 2010 11:57 AM
  • Could it be made to play the video file in Windows Media Player instead of Flash?
    Friday, April 9, 2010 9:05 PM
  • 
    Joshua Issac wrote:
    > Could it be made to play the video file in Windows Media Player instead of Flash?

When you say "video file", precisely what format do you have in mind? Is it not SWF?
    --
    Igor Tandetnik
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 3:59 AM