powerpivot add-in menu does not show in Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• To whom it may concern,

Sometimes,  excel.exe *32 is left in the windows 7 professional task manager but all excel sheets are closed (sometime VB script opens excel sheet, and then close the excel sheet); then, manually open an excel sheet 2010 with powerpivot add-in, powerpivot add-in menu does not show in Excel 2010. If excel.exe *32 is deleted from task manager manually, then, open Excel 2010 with power-pivot add-in, the powerpivot add-in menu is always visible. Try to figure out why excel.exe *32 is still left running in the task manager.

jianmin chen

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 12:17 AM

Answers

• I don't believe that this is directly a PowerPivot issue. I think the problem is probably with the VB Script that Jianmin has automating Excel in the background.

There is probably an error or open dialog box or something that is causing the Excel process not to finish and a side effect of that is that add-ins are not correctly loaded in subsequent Excel instances (I've seen other add-ins fail to load when there is a "stuck" copy of Excel running in the background). So the fix here is most likely going to be figuring out why the VB Script sometimes leaves Excel still running.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:17 AM
  • HI, Darren,

Thank you to share your insights. I did look into issue in the forum of  "Excel for developers", try to figure out why Excel process hangs for some reason, and then found some discussions. But powerpivot is problematic, the eror message showed up like "Excel could not open file since powerpivot failed to open..." later, I had to uninstall powerpivot since it stopped working. The installation does not take long.

jianmin chen

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:10 PM

All replies

• Jianmin, are you still trying to get this figured out?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, May 1, 2015 8:45 PM
  • Ed, I read your reply. I thought about closing it before, but today I still experience the same issue after I reinstall the powerpivot for Excel 2010. 

I came cross powerpivot error: unable to load the table in the powerpivot windows when the excel sheet is opened, yesterday it worked fine. After I reinstall powerpivot for Excel 2010, SQL 2008, the issue goes away.

And I tried to use pivot table instead of powerpivot in Excel 2010, and then plan to write stored procedure to build some relationships used to set up in powerpivot windows; so, I am still planning to use excel sheet, instead of writing a windows form application. Try to get more experience in excel.

jianmin chen

Friday, May 1, 2015 8:57 PM
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for Jianmin here?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, June 6, 2015 3:29 AM
  • I don't believe that this is directly a PowerPivot issue. I think the problem is probably with the VB Script that Jianmin has automating Excel in the background.

There is probably an error or open dialog box or something that is causing the Excel process not to finish and a side effect of that is that add-ins are not correctly loaded in subsequent Excel instances (I've seen other add-ins fail to load when there is a "stuck" copy of Excel running in the background). So the fix here is most likely going to be figuring out why the VB Script sometimes leaves Excel still running.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 3:17 AM
  • HI, Darren,

Thank you to share your insights. I did look into issue in the forum of  "Excel for developers", try to figure out why Excel process hangs for some reason, and then found some discussions. But powerpivot is problematic, the eror message showed up like "Excel could not open file since powerpivot failed to open..." later, I had to uninstall powerpivot since it stopped working. The installation does not take long.

jianmin chen

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:10 PM