CoreWindow.GetKeyState() returns the key status with the combination of CoreVirtualKeyStates?

Question

• Hi,

It looks CoreWindow.GetKeyState()  return the result with the convination of CoreVirtualKeyStates.

For example, when I keep pressing [Shift] keyboard, CoreWindow.GetKeyState() against [Shift] key returns 3.

The API spec for GetKeyState says it returns enumeration of CoreVirtualKeyStates.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.ui.core.corevirtualkeystates.asp

As we can see, there is no value 3 defined here.

From the behavior, it looks the API returns 3 as the status of Down(1) + Locked(2).

Is this the expected behavior of this API?

I currently cast the return value to int type and do the bit comparison to determin the key status as like:

======================================

bool isShiftPressed = (int)coreWindow->GetKeyState(Windows::System::VirtualKey::Shift) & (int)Windows::UI::Core::CoreVirtualKeyStates::Down;

This works, but the code doesn't look nice.

What is the best practice to use GetKeyState() for checking if a key is pressed or not?

-Takuji

Friday, December 07, 2012 1:48 PM

Answers

• This is expected behavior. The CoreVirtualKeyStates are flags and so need to be checked as such by masking off ones you are interested in.

--Rob

Friday, December 07, 2012 11:21 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This is expected behavior. The CoreVirtualKeyStates are flags and so need to be checked as such by masking off ones you are interested in.

--Rob

Friday, December 07, 2012 11:21 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks!

I hope the API doc mentions this point explicitly. I think many developer misunderstand the usage of the API.

Regarding the coding practice, I come up with the following for checking and storing the key state into the boolean variable:

bool isShiftPressed = (bool)(sender->GetKeyState(Windows::System::VirtualKey::Shift) & Windows::UI::Core::CoreVirtualKeyStates::Down);

There may be better way, but this is, I think, much better than the code snippet I attached before.

-Takuji

Monday, December 10, 2012 1:53 AM