locked
Cannot find references because path is not correct. RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have 5 dll's that are generated from a 3rd party.  We place these dll's (that are updated several times a week) in a SVN repository that I checkout to my local computer.  The path is:  C:\OpenClient\PASportLive1

    When I add these 5 dll's to my references, it works fine... all of the except 2.

    Example of one that works is a AOPASport.dll that is located in my References in the solution explorer.  If I click on it and then observe the Path in the Properties window it reads:

    C:\OpenClient\PASportLive1\AOPASport.dll

    However, for the two that DON'T work, it says: 

    Warning 113 The referenced component 'Progress.o4glrt' could not be found.

    When I click on the Progress.o4.glrt dll and I look at the Path, it is blank... 

    I'm not sure why it is blank.  I imported the dll's the same way as I did the other 3.  I cannot solve this problem.

    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:07 PM

Answers

  • Thanks for your response, but I found the solution to the problem.  It wasn't a signature problem. 

    The problem was due to the dll's targeting .NET Framework 4.0

    Visual Studio 2008 does not support .NET 3.5 unfortunately.  It took me days to figure out that this was my problem as there was not an error message or any indicator.

    I had to install the trial Visual Studio 2010 and set the "targeted framework" in the project 'properties' to 4.0.

    Visual Studio 2010 finally recognized the .dll's 

    • Marked as answer by CommanderKeen Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:35 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:35 PM

All replies

  • Hi CommanferKeen;

    If you import a library reference (.dll) and then later write over that actual file (even with the same name), you will have to re-import it if the file has been recompiled.  This is due to the "signature" of the file you originally imported being changed.   Visual Studio realizes that the file referenced isn't identical to the originally imported file and thus discounts it.

    I hope this helps.

    Glenn


    Glenn T. Kitchen VB.NET Forums

    Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:52 PM
  • Thanks for your response, but I found the solution to the problem.  It wasn't a signature problem. 

    The problem was due to the dll's targeting .NET Framework 4.0

    Visual Studio 2008 does not support .NET 3.5 unfortunately.  It took me days to figure out that this was my problem as there was not an error message or any indicator.

    I had to install the trial Visual Studio 2010 and set the "targeted framework" in the project 'properties' to 4.0.

    Visual Studio 2010 finally recognized the .dll's 

    • Marked as answer by CommanderKeen Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:35 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:35 PM