How does HTTP_DNT define "tracking"? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1505052757 posted

Hi,

If not correct forum, please point me in the right direction. I was reading this page and I wonder how "tracking" is defined? Does it mean that I should not use a session variable to identify the user?

--
    Werner

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:27 AM

Answers

• User1779161005 posted

If sent (DNT: 1) to a web server, it means the user doesn't want to be tracked (typically for third party cookies that are used to target advertising). This is meant for pages like google search results when you click a link and then the ads on the top of CNN.com -- those are the ones that the user is saying "I want to opt out of tracking". Part of the trick is that when you search for something in google/bing and then click a search result, the search engine passes the search term to the target website. So the target website knows your search term. If they're then tracking you they'll issue a persistent cookie. Once you then browse to CNN.com and its showing ads from the same vendor, they will show ads specific to your prior searches.There's a good overview here.

So it's fine for your app to issue cookies as long as you're not using those cookies to then track the user as they visit other sites across the web and show them targeted advertising based upon their prior activity with your site.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:40 AM

All replies

• User1779161005 posted

If sent (DNT: 1) to a web server, it means the user doesn't want to be tracked (typically for third party cookies that are used to target advertising). This is meant for pages like google search results when you click a link and then the ads on the top of CNN.com -- those are the ones that the user is saying "I want to opt out of tracking". Part of the trick is that when you search for something in google/bing and then click a search result, the search engine passes the search term to the target website. So the target website knows your search term. If they're then tracking you they'll issue a persistent cookie. Once you then browse to CNN.com and its showing ads from the same vendor, they will show ads specific to your prior searches.There's a good overview here.

So it's fine for your app to issue cookies as long as you're not using those cookies to then track the user as they visit other sites across the web and show them targeted advertising based upon their prior activity with your site.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:40 AM
  • User-1505052757 posted

Excellent, thanks BrockAllen.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 2:13 AM