none
Sound Error - " Device may not support Audio Ouput" RRS feed

• Question

• Notice:

I am an end user with Software Enginnering background who has bought one of those mass produced 7" notebooks with Windows CE.0 6.0 based on VT8505 ARM.

The sound did work at one point but .... well I won't waste forum time with what happend, but I had to reinstall Windows CE 6.0 via an SD card which flashed the NAND.

After a couple of trail and errors of using various flavors of Vt8505 I can get everything to work except sound. All troublesome devices like USB and Network (Including Wireless) work without any issue.

I know I do not have the exact restore file for my model but facctory support is difficult as the factory is not listed on the unit or documentation. I have been searching the web for various answers .

Questions:

1. Is the Processor type in System Properties via hardware or from when CE 6.0 is built for the device, Example. My device reports WMT, ARM WM8505. Is this data from the image in NAND or is embedded elsewhere and read by CE 6.0

2. Could I just copy the correct sound driver over and update the registry instead of taking time to rebuild the whole image?

Friday, November 19, 2010 4:18 PM

All replies

• 1. It could be either.  A message is sent to the OEM code asking for that data.  My guess is that it's the generic processor type for which the OS you are using was built.

2. Yes, if you can find the right sound driver and the registry settings to use it.  The main issue is whether the \windows folder, for example, is persistent.  If not, you'll have to put the DLL somewhere that *is* going to survive a power cycle and properly point the registry to that location.  You then have to be sure that the persistent storage device, whatever it is, gets mounted before the device manager goes out and tries to load the sound driver (if the 'disk' isn't mounted yet, no sound driver).

Paul T.

Friday, November 19, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Check : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Active to see if your driver was actually loaded.
    If not, you might try to start it by calling ActivateDevice() from a small app.

Is there a BSP available for this device ?
    Is the device of any use ? I heard these things are really cheap, I might buy one for test purposes, do you have a web-link  for it ?

Kind regards,
    Rob.
    www.robtso.nl

Monday, November 22, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Thank you for the Information.

1. I did find a reference via one the many searches that some drivers ( perhaps sound ) needed to detected and loaded before Windows CE 6.0

2. I will check the registry. I just wish I knew the syntax of the driver I was looking for.  I have not spotted anything obvious with in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\Active list.

However I did find wm_ac97_600.dll in the Windows directory.

I think this is the correct .dll for audio for this image ( may not be for device) . The image has refererence to WonderMedia (wm) and tech specs state the audio is ac97 based.

I used a utility called PHM and notice that some Audio Drivers ( Codecs and Wave ) are mounted but I don't see any hardware, perhpas they are not required and this driver is not compatible with the true hardware.

I found my on Ebay, I think I paid a bit too much ...

I would just search for 7" Netbook Laptop Notebook Wifi Windows CE 6.0.

They are also starting to hit CVS, Walgreens, and lots of other places in the US as cheap mini laptop.

This is neat toy and good be a bit more powerful if had better marketing. The biggest hurdle I had is getting getting additional applications to run/install on it. I have a lot of Microsoft .lit books but most of the good readers applications out assume the device requires an ActiveSync hookup. 

Monday, November 22, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Update - No Audio ....

I tried building a generic BSP using Microsoft embedded CE 6.0. I was hoping that I could copy the default audio .dll for AC97 from the DeviceEmulator BSP.

I copied the unified ENSONIQ.dll over to the Windows directory and updated the WAVEDEV registry via regedit.

I got a new error message stating "No Device Driver  Present."

Request.
    Does anyone have any sound driver other than wm_ac97_600.dll ?

Has anyone created a BSP for these cheap made in China mini laptops with ARM processor?

Thanks

James

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 8:20 PM