Excel 2007 cant create new workbook normally for a template with header and footer in the XLSTART folder. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm facing such a problem using a template for Excel 2007. It's like this.

I need to open Excel to create a new book automatically with page header and footer as predefined. So I make a workbook with header and footer, and then save it as Book.xltx and Sheet.xltx (Excel2007 template format). And I put the Book.xltx and Sheet.xltx to the folder of  ...\Office12\XLSTART.

It's ok when I open Excel (the new book can be created with header and footer, and the contents in this book can be diplayed well.)

But the problem is coming:  when I create one more excel workbook (either from the Excel file manu or shortcut button), the new workbook cannot be displayed (that means the cells in the newly created workbook seem gone , the window is grey,  I still can enter some words in that window).

And I tried  to create one more workbook in this way: move or copy a worksheet from the 1st normal workbook to a new workbook, it works. (the new workbook can be displayed normally.)

And I tried to remove the templates from the XLSTART folder, Excel2007 works normally.

Is there something wrong with my operation or Excel 2007 cooperating with Templates in the XLSTART folder?

Thanks for your reply!

cj

Friday, June 8, 2012 2:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Learning,

XLSTART is the folder from where excel opens the first document when
    it loads.But one excel started it will never look into that folder.That's
    why you will not get the 2nd or 3rd created workbook in predefined
    format.

I think there is one exception and that is when you name a workbook book.xltx(m). That should function as the template when you hit control+n too.
    Also for sheet.xltx: for a new sheet.

Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse|Excel MVP|http://www.jkp-ads.com
    • Marked as answer by iopcj Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:52 AM
    Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Hi Iopcj,

When I click shortcut or even from the file menu to create 2nd workbook,
    just a window without any contents (cells) pops up, just a title.

What happens if you start Excel in safe mode and repaet this?

Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Iopcj,

when I create one more excel workbook
    (either from the Excel file manu or shortcut button), the new workbook
    cannot be displayed (that means the cells in the newly created workbook seem
    gone , the window is grey,  I still can enter some words in that
    window).

What happens if you click View, Arrange, tiled?

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hi Iopcj,

when I create one more excel workbook
    (either from the Excel file manu or shortcut button), the new workbook
    cannot be displayed (that means the cells in the newly created workbook seem
    gone , the window is grey,  I still can enter some words in that
    window).

What happens if you click View, Arrange, tiled?

when I click View > Arrange > Tiled, there's some blank area (where seems to be arranged for the abnormal workbook).

cj

Friday, June 8, 2012 1:06 PM
  • XLSTART is the folder from where excel opens the first document when it loads.But one excel started it will never look into that folder.That's why you will not get the 2nd or 3rd created workbook in predefined format.

You should try putting the files in Templates folder.Then from Excel File Menu you can insert the files with Predefined format. 

Try to avoid directly clicking the Excel.exe or  Shortcut to the Excel.exe (By Quick Launch in windows).In that excel creates workbook without any user defined setting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and mark as Answer if it solves the issue.

Saturday, June 9, 2012 7:14 AM
    Answerer
  • XLSTART is the folder from where excel opens the first document when it loads.But one excel started it will never look into that folder.That's why you will not get the 2nd or 3rd created workbook in predefined format.

You should try putting the files in Templates folder.Then from Excel File Menu you can insert the files with Predefined format. 

Try to avoid directly clicking the Excel.exe or  Shortcut to the Excel.exe (By Quick Launch in windows).In that excel creates workbook without any user defined setting.

Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and mark as Answer if it solves the issue.

Thanks for the reply.

I think the biggest problem is that I cannot even see the cells in the 2nd  or 3rd excel file (not only simply without the format.) 

When I click shortcut or even from the file menu to create 2nd workbook, just a window without any contents (cells) pops up, just a title.

cj

Saturday, June 9, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Hi Learning,

format.

I think there is one exception and that is when you name a workbook book.xltx(m). That should function as the template when you hit control+n too.

Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:34 AM
  • Hi Iopcj,

When I click shortcut or even from the file menu to create 2nd workbook,
    just a window without any contents (cells) pops up, just a title.

What happens if you start Excel in safe mode and repaet this?

Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:35 AM

And I dont remember there's such a problem in Excel2003.

cj

Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Hi Learning,

format.

Thanks for reply!

Yes, there's some exception. And finally I found the reason. It caused by some third-party COM addon in my excel. After I disabled it, the Excel worked normally.

Thanks for your advice to run Excel in safe mode (Run: "excel /s"), so that I can be sure there's something wrong with the addons.

cj

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:51 AM