Multiple SL3 applications in one SL3 application. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My problem is:

I am creating silverlight application, witch is some sort of slide show of already existing silverlight apps.
    So I need to create some app where I could write something like:

<canvas>
     <someControl url="/mySLApp.xap" />
    </canvas>

It would be good to do this without changing anything in those existing apps, because those apps are already created and working in production.

Any ideas where I could start?

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:22 AM

All replies

• Maybe you could have a look at MEF (you can find a special forum here). I have never worked with it myself but what I read was that with MEF you can load XAPs dynamically so maybe you can use that for your intentions.

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:41 AM
  • Monday, June 28, 2010 10:49 AM
  • You should look at the "Modularity" topic in Prism (Composite Application Guidance). 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd490828.aspx

With it, you can have multiple XAP files on a main XAP app (the Shell)

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:44 PM
  • I checked Prism and MEF. But I am looking for something different. Or I missed something there.

In usage examples, they uses modules. That is - parts of application. I want to use separate,  complete applications with each of them having different initialize parameters. Those applications works separated from each other. So I can't change them to use modular loading (or I don't know how) without braking them. It should be like slide show of silverlight applications.  

Ok, maybe it is possible to do with Prism or MEF. If somebody know how - it would be nice to have example source code.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:58 AM
  • Hi,  

One thing to notice is that init parameters is set on the object plugin of silverilght.

So here , MEF cant give you different init parameters for all your SL apllications.

You can only have one init parameter for you main SL app.

Best Regards

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:05 AM
  • Main problem is not init parameters. I can have all parameters in main application and then send them to sub-application. Main problem, which I can't solve is - I want to reuse existing applications in the main app. So the same xap file could work alone and included in my application. In MEF examples I found only the way to remake existing apps to modules. As I understood, after that, xap file will not work alone.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:07 AM