none
Perpetual License but No Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Although the MSDN license allows for "perpetual use", the way I see it, this is then made a mute point by making the MSDN product keys limited to 10 (maybe) activations, which BTW, I never saw in any of my EULA or MSDN subscription documentation.  After your subscription expires, this results in not being able to activate Operating Systems using your "user key" to perform development or testing on the same machine ("duplicate installation error message") or on different machines.  Ergo the end of your access to the normal operation of the software and you get to watch all the activation and pirated software messages as if you are a thief.  Is this the intent of the perpetual license feature you have licensed to the MSDN community?
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 12:10 PM

Answers

• Sorry about the frustration here Erik.  The perpetual license for Software obtained in MSDN allows you to keep using the software you've obtained through MSDN, even after your MSDN Subscription has lapsed.  I believe its intent is to not force MSDN Subscribers to have to uninstall and discard all of the software they've installed during the life of their MSDN Subscription.  

Windows Product Activation ties itself to a hash of hardware IDs that come from your computer, so you should not have to reactivate Windows if you're re-installing it on the same hardware.  If you're running into this, you might want to post in the http://answers.microsoft.com forum for Windows.  

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:19 PM