Creating a VM fails with "The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am trying to create a new domain-joined VM in the US East data center and add it to an existing Cloud Service and Virtual Network using the the New-AzureVM cmdlet and it is failing with the following error message:

New-AzureVM : Failed: The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.
    At C:\Users\richardh\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CetarisAzure\DeployAzureTestServers.ps1:26 char:12
    + New-AzureVM <<<<  -VMs $vm1
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [New-AzureVM], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Management.ServiceManagement.IaaS.PersistentVMs.NewAzureVMCommand

OperationDescription : New-AzureVM - Create VM VMAZURERTM1
    OperationId          : b1221ff2-aaa3-4ae4-96ba-ea95a8a1a743
    OperationStatus      : Failed

If I retry running the New-AzureVM command, I get the following error because the VHD appears to have been created:

New-AzureVM : Failed: The VHD already exists: http://cetaris.blob.core.windows.net/vhds/TestClients/VMAZUREWFARTM1.vhd
    At C:\Users\richardh\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CetarisAzure\DeployAzureTestServers.ps1:26 char:12
    + New-AzureVM <<<<  -ServiceName $cloudServiceName -VMs $vm1
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Management.ServiceManagement.IaaS.PersistentVMs.NewAzureVMCommand

I then have to manually delete VHD image in order to retry the New-AzureVM command. I have atempted to create the VM a number of times, but it always fails.

UPDATE: Even if I try this operation manually from the Portal, I get what appears to be the same error, but this time it gives me a long running operation tracking ID.

The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request. The long running operation tracking ID was: 1393c33813d049618a1087abc13ab483.

The VHD gets created, but this time it is not possible to delete it (without following the instructions here), since Azure believes a lease has been placed on the file.

How can I identify what is causing this operation to fail?

Thanks,
    Richard

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Thanks for reporting the issue and I apologize for the frustrating experience.

Operation ID 1393c33813d049618a1087abc13ab483 indicates this happened because the host server was in a problem state. It is a known issue for which we have a fix being rolled out currently.

Are you hitting this issue repeatedly? I'm not sure if it would try to create the VM on the same host every time because you are putting it in the same deployment.

But I am working with operations to resolve the issue on that host currently.

Thanks,

Craig

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Thanks for the info Richard.

It is unfortunate that they just can't admit that there are problems and they are being worked on. You would think there is a status board that folks could go to.

You can't provide a service emulating an IT shop and not be held accountable as an IT shop is.  Even a beta has expectations.  And there needs to be feedback to consumers.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Thanks for reporting the issue and I apologize for the frustrating experience.

Operation ID 1393c33813d049618a1087abc13ab483 indicates this happened because the host server was in a problem state. It is a known issue for which we have a fix being rolled out currently.

Are you hitting this issue repeatedly? I'm not sure if it would try to create the VM on the same host every time because you are putting it in the same deployment.

But I am working with operations to resolve the issue on that host currently.

Thanks,

Craig

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Hi Craig,

Yes, I always experience this issue. I just tried again and I get the same error as follows:

New-AzureVM : Failed: The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.
    At C:\Users\richardh\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CetarisAzure\DeployAzureTestServers.ps1:26 char:23
    + $results = New-AzureVM <<<<  -ServiceName $cloudServiceName -VMs $vm1

OperationDescription : New-AzureVM - Create VM VMAZURERTM1
    OperationId          : 78ed4574-fbd3-4626-aa6c-ee33a1973149
    OperationStatus      : Failed

I have tried multiple times with the same result. I guess you are still working on getting the fix applied to the host?

Thanks,
    Richard

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:57 AM
  • Hi Craig,

Given the number of problems we have experienced over the last week and a bit, we have unfortunately decided to suspend our testing of Azure VM's and delete our existing VM's. Please let us know when this issue is resolved and Azure VM's mature to a stable product. At this time we can no longer justify paying for VM's which are unresponsive and unusable.

Richard

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I had this error today myself.

We ahve been having problems gaining remote access to Persistent VMs all day today.

A couple VMs reported unclean shutdowns, others have been un-reachable.

All our VMs are in the US West datacenter

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Edited by BrianEhMVP Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:45 PM
  • I have heard today from the Azure Support team that Microsoft is aware of the stalling VM issue and will be rolling out changes to the hosting servers to resolve this problem but not for another two weeks. It's hard to say for certain if all these problems are related but hopefully it fixes the problems everyone is having.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for the info Richard.

It is unfortunate that they just can't admit that there are problems and they are being worked on. You would think there is a status board that folks could go to.

You can't provide a service emulating an IT shop and not be held accountable as an IT shop is.  Even a beta has expectations.  And there needs to be feedback to consumers.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:08 PM
  • That has been my main issue so far.

When there is a problem with the underlying Azure infrastructure that impacts your app, there is no way of knowing what the root cause is without invoking the help of the Azure Support team. That said, the team has been helpful but has only been able to confirm there is a "known issue" and that they expect to roll out a fix in the next two weeks. That's about all the detail you get.

If you are running a production app on Azure VM's there really needs to be some form of visibility into the status of the underlying Azure infrastructure hosting your app. Is is the Azure VM Host, the Azure Storage system, or was it the Azure Virtual Network that took you down? You never really know (or at least I don't know of a way to easily find out).

I suspect Microsoft is aware of this challenge. Hopefully we'll see improvements in this area in the near future.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Having what appears to be the same problem today, I can repro with both PowerShell and the Portal.

CraigMartin – Edgile, Inc. – http://identitytrench.com

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:58 AM