How is field order determined and how can it be set in a custom way RRS feed

• Question

• User-1614457691 posted

All --

Please help. 

How is field order determined and how can it be set in a custom way?

Is it based on column order as the columns exist in the database?

Can it be changed with an attribute in a Metadata class?

Etc.

Please advise.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:22 PM

Answers

• User1641955678 posted

Hi Mark, 

The Dynamic Data Futures solution shows how to add support to do exactly this.  Specifically, look at ColumnOrderAttribute.

David

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:57 PM

All replies

• User1641955678 posted

Hi Mark, 

The Dynamic Data Futures solution shows how to add support to do exactly this.  Specifically, look at ColumnOrderAttribute.

David

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:57 PM
  • User-1614457691 posted
    How is order currently determined in the current release of Dynamic Data (not Futures)? What is the algorithm? Database order? Alphabetical? Order of declaration in the Metadata class? Random? Something else?
    Friday, September 12, 2008 5:13 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

In the RTM of Dynamic Data the columns are unordered and without the use of DDFutures or some custom code there is no easy way to order the columns.

Hope this helps [:D]

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:18 AM
  • User-1614457691 posted

...without the use of DDFutures...

It is my understanding that DDfutures is the Beta of the next DD.

Which, as I understand it, functionality there is not guaranteed to be rolled out.

As such, I am wary of using DDfutures on our Production project for a client.

Should I be wary? What is the worst-case-scenarios if I lean-on DDFutures and hit a bug, use a feature that does not get released, etc?

without the use of ... some custom code there is no easy way to order the columns.

I have no objection to customizing the field-templates and/or the page-templates. We have done a lot of that already. It is easy and comes out great. So-- can you give me a hint as to where and how one might add custom-code in order to provide order-the-columns-in-a-custom-way functionality?

Please advise.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

Friday, September 12, 2008 11:38 AM
  • User1641955678 posted

You can view Futures as a combination of posssibile future features, and just random things that show you how to use various extensibility points.  e.g. for the case of column ordering, it relies on the field generator extensibility.  You don't have to use the full Futures DLL to use it.  You could just grab the relevant field generator and add that to your app.  At that point you're not really using the Futures, but you just grabbed a "starting point" from it.

David

Friday, September 12, 2008 12:00 PM