none
how to remotely control vb applicaton RRS feed

• Question

•  i want to know what i should learn or implement to do this functions as stated.

i have 1 admin application and 5 user application. They have the same functionality. i want that the admin can control the rest of 5 user in the same LAN. For example, i have created windows form with a button that can disable usb ports. its working. now and i want from the same application for administrator, he can control (turn on and off) the radio button remotely in the same LAN. i am not sure which type of coding i should use. i need one small example.

what is this type of project called? is it remote access software?
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 8:05 PM

All replies

• One possibility is the Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) as in Conceptual Overview. The server could communicate with the clients using WCF.

If that does not satisfy requirements then please clarify the requirements.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:40 PM
  •  You can use the TcpListener Class in the non-admin versions of your application to listen for incoming messages.  You would set them up to listen on the specified port number you want to use for all the listeners and have it accept messages from IPAddress.Any or the Ipv4 address of the computer with the admin version running on it.  There is an example at that link of how to use it but,  you can find an endless number of examples on the internet by searching for things like "Chat app vb.net" or similar.  You would want to run the listener in a separate thread or use the asynchronous methods,  otherwise it will block the execution of your application and make it unusable.

In the admin version of the app,  you can use either the TcpClient Class or the Socket Class to send the messages to the non-admin applications.  There are also examples at those links and all over the internet too for using them.

Here are just a few links where you can find code to examine and test.  Once you get the communications working and understand how the example codes are working,  you can then work on the messages that you send,  they don't have to be text as the chat app examples use,  you can send a few specific bytes that your listening apps can recognize and know what to do... Check a radiobutton,  change a color,  or whatever else....

A TCP/IP Chat Program

Simple Chat Application Using VB.NET With Private Chat Option

Peer-To-Peer Chat

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:08 PM
  • Hi,

Why do you want to add features?
    I think it's much better to use remote-control software than to modify your application.

Regards, 

Ashidacchi

Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Why do you want to add features?
    I think it's much better to use remote-control software than to modify your application.

Regards, 

Ashidacchi

Why do we need to criticize a question?

I think there is no requirement for people asking for help to justify why the need to do something.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:13 PM
  • So you got your program to work.  So what is wrong with Remote Desktop Sharing. The only way it could work, your program, is that it had some internal password that would be accepted. As long as someone can login to one the other machines as admin, then the program can be used by the user to enable the USB again if you went with some admin privilege to control the program. 
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:17 PM
  • So you got your program to work.  So what is wrong with Remote Desktop Sharing. The only way it could work, your program, is that it had some internal password that would be accepted. As long as someone can login to one the other machines as admin, then the program can be used by the user to enable the USB again if you went with some admin privilege to control the program. 

What?  According to  silenthunter206`s profile activities,  this is the first question that  silenthunter206 has asked.  Unless they have more than one profile on the forum.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

What? I'll assume the OP got the program to work in disabling USB is the only point I am making. Just what is it that you came to any other conclusions?
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:40 PM
  • @Simple Samples,

I didn't intend to criticize a question.  If you feel so, it may cause from my poor English (English is not my native language.)
    I only wanted to show an alternative.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:21 AM
  • @Simple Samples,

I didn't intend to criticize a question.  If you feel so, it may cause from my poor English (English is not my native language.)
    I only wanted to show an alternative.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Look, don't apologize to that clown. He pulled the same BS with me in another forum. Who or what he thinks he is he is a mystery/ He should keep his big mouth shut and keep it to himself.
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 12:30 AM
  • I only wanted to show an alternative.
    Suggesting an alternative is good. The question "Why do you want to add features?" seems rhetorical; in other words, "asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information". If you sincerely wanted to get more information then it would help to be more clear. There is nothing wrong with the question if it is a sincere attempt to get additional information but as stated, it would commonly be considered a criticism, not really intended to be a question. Such a thing is common and the word "rhetorical" is often used to describe it.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:06 AM
  • I only wanted to show an alternative.

Suggesting an alternative is good. The question "Why do you want to add features?" seems rhetorical; in other words, "asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information". If you sincerely wanted to get more information then it would help to be more clear. There is nothing wrong with the question if it is a sincere attempt to get additional information but as stated, it would commonly be considered a criticism, not really intended to be a question. Such a thing is common and the word "rhetorical" is often used to describe it.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

LOL!
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:13 AM
  • @Simple Samples,
    I hope you will provide any answers to OP's question, instead of spending unproductive time.

Ashidacchi

Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:19 AM
  • @Simple Samples,
    I hope you will provide any answers to OP's question, instead of spending unproductive time.

Ashidacchi

LOL! Tell it like it is man, because he did nothing but waste my time too! :)
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:24 AM