TFS 2012 - Chnaging SQL Server Compatibility Level RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am upgrading from TFS 2010 SP1 single tier to TFS 2012.3 as a dual tier.

the old TFS runs with SQL Server 2008 R2, the new one runs with SQL Server 2012 SP1.

is it ok to change the TFS databases compatibility level to SQL server 2012 from sql server 2008?

is there something that can go wrong with this change?

thank you

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Liran,

Thanks for your post.

I'd like to confirm with you do you mean you want to upgrade your TFS to a completely new hardware like this:

Old Machine: TFS 2010 SP1 + SQL Server 2008 R2

New Machine 1#(AT): TFS 2012.3

New Machine 2#(DT): SQL Server 2012 SP1

If this is your scenario, I recommend you to upgrade TFS by following the article below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj620930.aspx

Following the steps, you'll get a successful upgrade without issues. You can restore TFS database to SQL Server 2012 from SQL Server 2008.

Notice: Before doing upgrade, be sure you have the full database backup.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Cece Dong Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:19 AM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Hi Liran,

Thanks for your quick feedback.

I think this is a SQL Server related question, it relates to your database safety. Since I'm not a SQL Server expert, I'm not sure what effect will it cause by changing this property. It's recommended to post this question on SQL Server forum for better response:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home

Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, January 3, 2014 5:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Liran,

I am moving your thread into the Team Foundation Server – Migration and Integration Forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Hi Liran,

Thanks for your post.

I'd like to confirm with you do you mean you want to upgrade your TFS to a completely new hardware like this:

Old Machine: TFS 2010 SP1 + SQL Server 2008 R2

New Machine 1#(AT): TFS 2012.3

New Machine 2#(DT): SQL Server 2012 SP1

If this is your scenario, I recommend you to upgrade TFS by following the article below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj620930.aspx

Following the steps, you'll get a successful upgrade without issues. You can restore TFS database to SQL Server 2012 from SQL Server 2008.

Notice: Before doing upgrade, be sure you have the full database backup.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:22 AM
  • thank you for the response,

I'll try to refine my question, i have performed the upgrade and it was successful.

i was asked by the company DBA if i can update the TFS databases compatibility level to SQL Server 2012

this option can be found when right clicking on the database in the SSMS, selecting properties->option->compatibility level.

so the question eventually is: does changing this property can harm the TFS databases?

also is it safe to update the compatibility to SQL Server 2012 ?

thank you

Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Hi Liran,

Thanks for your quick feedback.

I think this is a SQL Server related question, it relates to your database safety. Since I'm not a SQL Server expert, I'm not sure what effect will it cause by changing this property. It's recommended to post this question on SQL Server forum for better response:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home

Thanks for your understanding.

Friday, January 3, 2014 5:33 AM
  • I found a thread that asked the same question some days later and was answered more preciously.

• Edited by MichaelHauer Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:21 PM added correct link
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:20 PM