How to obfuscate variables RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to obfuscate some float variables in a program. Therefore I don’t assign the variables directly in the code, but do it indirectly, by generating the values at runtime and then assign them to the variables. However, I wonder if it is possible, for one doing reverse engineering, in one or another way, to detect the values of variables at runtime. Because in that case, I wonder if the best way would be to use combinations of variables, e.g. a + b * c, when employing these variables in some operation, instead of temporarily storing the values in one by one variable. I hope I have made myself clear. If someone could throw some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Keitel

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Keitel.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by obfuscating only specific variables. If you want to look into code obfuscation, check out the community edition of Dotfuscator included with Visual Studio. (I wrote an article here: Visual Studio 2012 Tips Part 5 – Protect Your Code, Obfuscate)

If you need more protection for your code, look at the reasonably Crypto Obfuscator. I reviewed the product and liked it quite a lot. So perhaps that is a viable avenue for you to pursue.

I hope this helps.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community. Happy programming!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Hi,

Why not obfuscate you application with Dotfuscator then crypt your application with .NET based crypters available out on the market. 

Next you can add anti-debug and anti-emulation techniques in your application using PEB or some other technique like that. 

Regards,

Rohan Vijjhalwar

Sunday, October 6, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Thank you for your answers. I didn't think I would get an answer, so I forgot about this inquiry.

Best regards

Keitel

Sunday, December 14, 2014 7:17 PM