Windows will not install past the first reboot and freezes

Question

• So I'm in a bit of a rut here.

I've put windows dev preview onto a flash drive, and successfully booted / installed onto my hard drive.

Note: In one case I used a 25GB partition, and in the other case I used a 25GB Fixed VHD.  Both produced these results

Windows will install up until the first reboot.  After the first reboot, it will configure settings, registry, etc, then try to get to the boot loader.  It freezes after 2 dots come up, and says Windows Developer Preview.

The flip side is it ALSO messes with my Windows 7 parition somehow, causing Windows 7 to need some file moving, chkdsk, and Startup Repair to get it to an operational state agian.

Has anybody else expierienced these issues?  I'm using a Lenovo x60 Tablet, 80GB IDE Drive, 4GB of ram.

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:20 AM

Answers

• I was dealing with this exact same problem on my W520.  I downloaded both x64 ISOs, tried installing from a mounted image and from physical disc (for the non-dev-tools version).

I finally fixed it by changing some boot priority setting in the BIOS from Legacy to UEFI.  As soon as my laptop reboots I will edit/reply with the exact setting.

edit- OK, installation got a little further.  It did some work, rebooted again, and now it crashes again with a couple of dots on the screen.  I'm going to try a BIOS update.  We'll see what happens.

edit2- Sorry, after all that, it looks like I'm still getting stuck halfway through installation.  I hope the bios update worked for you.

edit3- After restarting the computer for the billionth time, I jammed on the F8 key, and selected safe mode before the installer started. That did the trick!  Hopefully it works for you too.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:14 PM

All replies

• Hey Alex,

Its possible that the ISO you downloaded was corrupt.  I have seen similar problems and a fresh download of the ISO fixed the problem with the install.  Please try re-downloading the ISO, recreate your installation media and try your installation again.  I provided a link to the download page here.

Regards,

Gary

Gary | Escalation Engineer | Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3) One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052 USA http://support.microsoft.com
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Gary,

I verified the SHA1 of my .iso I downloaded, and it matched the sha1 provided on the download page.  I also copied over to the usb disk and installed the preview about 3 or 4 times, so I can also rule out a bad copy.

Any other ideas?

Saturday, September 24, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Gary,

I verified the SHA1 of my .iso I downloaded, and it matched the sha1 provided on the download page.  I also copied over to the usb disk and installed the preview about 3 or 4 times, so I can also rule out a bad copy.

Any other ideas?

Alex,

Did you download the ISO again or just verify the SHA1 of your first .iso download?  Make sure you try with a fresh download if you have not already. 

Some other things to try are:

1) make sure your Lenovo x60 Tablet has the latest BIOS from their support site here.

2) try the 32-bit version as a troubleshooting step to see if you can get any further.

***** Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk*****

Thanks,

Gary | Escalation Engineer | Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3) One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, 98052 USA http://support.microsoft.com
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:00 PM
    Answerer
  • I was dealing with this exact same problem on my W520.  I downloaded both x64 ISOs, tried installing from a mounted image and from physical disc (for the non-dev-tools version).

I finally fixed it by changing some boot priority setting in the BIOS from Legacy to UEFI.  As soon as my laptop reboots I will edit/reply with the exact setting.

edit- OK, installation got a little further.  It did some work, rebooted again, and now it crashes again with a couple of dots on the screen.  I'm going to try a BIOS update.  We'll see what happens.

edit2- Sorry, after all that, it looks like I'm still getting stuck halfway through installation.  I hope the bios update worked for you.

edit3- After restarting the computer for the billionth time, I jammed on the F8 key, and selected safe mode before the installer started. That did the trick!  Hopefully it works for you too.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:14 PM