SSRS DLL files for Subscriptions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a requirement of scheduling SSRS reports dynamically. We already have some crystal reports which are scheduled using some dll files like:

• CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Auth.secEnterprise
    • CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Desktop.Report
    • CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Dest.Smtp
    • CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework
    • CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.InfoStore
    • CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.PluginManager

In a similar way do we have any dll files for scheduling SSRS reports? If so, please provide the same.

Thanks,

Manna

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

No DLL's, but SSRS 2005 - 2016 has an open & documented SOAP Web API, see Reporting Services Web Service Reference and Integrating Reporting Services into Applications

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:24 AM
  • can you elaborate on what you mean schedule SSRS reports dynamically? From where are you planning the schedule the reports?

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:26 AM
  • Hi Visakh,

Actually I have an SSRS report with selected parameters(Filters). The end user can select parameter values from the drop down and save as a profile. These profiles are saved in the database and scheduling is also done by the end user. Based on this profiles and schedules the user should receive Emails. This functionality is working in the dll files for Crystal reports. We need to implement the same for SSRS reports. So is there any DLL files available for the same with the functionality of the dll files of the crystal reports.

Thanks,

Manna

Friday, February 9, 2018 10:54 AM
  • Hi Manna Jose,

According to your description, it seems that you want each user receive email which contain report with corresponding parameter value, right?

If so, in SSRS, you could use data-driven subscription to achieve this goal. Create a subscriber dataset like below in SSMS, then create data-driven subscription and create schedule in Report Manager

You could refer to this blog and Create a Data-Driven Subscription for detail.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 12, 2018 5:16 AM
  • Hi,

I have already tried the above solution. But the issue with this method is we cannot provide the frequency/time dynamically. Can you please clarify this? 

Can you please let me know if there are any DLL files required for the same?

Thanks,

Manna

Monday, February 12, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

I have already tried the above solution. But the issue with this method is we cannot provide the frequency/time dynamically. Can you please clarify this? 

Can you please let me know if there are any DLL files required for the same?

Thanks,

Manna

You can specify the frequency by using a workaround

Create a data driven subscription as specified

Make sure you set a single time run schedule when you create the subscription (say at 12 AM daily for example)

Then you need to identify the SQL agent job which it creates on the backend

This can be done as specified below

http://www.sqlgirl.com/blog/2012/09/05/execute-ssrs-report-subscriptions-manually/

Then add a new sql agent job to manually trigger the subscription (say Trigger <Report Name>)

It will two steps, first step to check if its valid time to run the job

you can refer below for the logic of your step

https://visakhm.blogspot.ae/2014/05/sql-agent-tips-configure-custom.html

Here its hardcoded but in your case it will come from a schedule table you set based on the user input

You would need to write a logic to convert user input for schedule to actual timings

So say if user inputs 5 minutes you need to convert into time values like below in the table

00:00

00:05

00:10

And compare the system time given by GETDATE() against the table value to ensure it its valid time to run the job in this step as explained earlier in the link

Next step will point to msdb database with code as below

EXEC sp_start_job @job_name = 'your job name'
    GO

Job name you'll get from the first query in the posted link

This will ensure the subscription gets fired as per the schedule user set which is captured in the table 

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Monday, February 12, 2018 7:11 AM