Design considerations for wrapping higher level process RRS feed

• Question

• So Ive used workflow now on a few projects and have become comfortable building/coding with it.  Recently a discussion was started to design a new process to automate a part of the business Im in and there are several different departments, each with their own different functions and processes that they perform.  During this discussion, the thought came to me - why stop with just the "small" picture where I was using WF to contain and execute business rules, but also wrap the higher level abstractions also.

For example, a department performs steps A, B and C.  Each step might have some branching in it (if/then etc).  Its only the "steps Im using workflow currently.

Above the department, there is another layer, lets call it "group".  There would be several different groups, each with its own departments, some with the same name as other groups, but the internal structure might be different for a given department between groups.  So this means that if I modeled a department in one group, I cant assume I can reuse that department in another groups workflow.

My main unknown however, is how would a user interact with a workflow that was this high level.  Abstracting higher levels, means users dont need to interact with or execute the whole workflow each time, only a part of it.  So am I looking at pausing/resuming the bigger workflow?  How can I "skip" to a certain stage or area of a workflow, bypassing the stuff that has already been done? 

Correct me if Im wrong, but this seems to be where I need to look at bookmarks?  

In my case, something similar to an order in a shopping cart is what would be the input type for the bigger workflow.  There are several different groups of users that have to set or add properties to associated objects (sql tables) related to the order before it can be marked "complete".

How would you tie together a "wizard" type concept with workflow?  This seems to be the type of model we are considering.  A user takes an order a few steps, then another user from a different group/department adds some attributes and the workflow/wizard continues a few more levels down.  Finally, after all the rules have been matched and required data provided, the workflow can "finish".

Hope my description seems clear.  

Friday, April 17, 2015 8:27 PM

Answers

• My main unknown however, is how would a user interact with a workflow that was this high level.  Abstracting higher levels, means users dont need to interact with or execute the whole workflow each time, only a part of it.  So am I looking at pausing/resuming the bigger workflow?  How can I "skip" to a certain stage or area of a workflow, bypassing the stuff that has already been done? 

If you want to skip to certain state or bypass what stuff that has been done, you need give logic judgment first. Bookmarks are the mechanism that enables an activity to passively wait for input without holding onto a workflow thread. When an activity signals that it is waiting for stimulus, it can create a bookmark. So bookmark is available for you during create this application.

Here are some workflow applications, see: Workflow Application

hope it helps.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by shiftbit Wednesday, April 22, 2015 12:46 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 6:28 AM