SQL Compact in Windows Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• User736351421 posted

I use WebMatrix 3. I've got an ASP.NET Web Pages site that draws fractals, it uses a SQL Compact database and works fine locally.  

But after I published it to the Azure Cloud and tried it, I get an error in the Database.cshtml that it doesn't work.  Error: Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider.  

The URL is: http://aljo-fractals.azurewebsites.net  Click on the option Database and you'll get to see the error.    

I guess I need to add a framework to use the database, where do I get that?    This must be easy to fix, but how...

Monday, May 13, 2013 11:54 AM

All replies

• User379720387 posted

No.

I have been publishing to Azure from WebMatrix 2 for several months, no problems.

What is the error?

Monday, May 13, 2013 1:27 PM
  • User736351421 posted

Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider.

I use WebMatrix 3

I guess I need to add the framework to use the database, where do I get that?

Monday, May 13, 2013 2:26 PM
  • User736351421 posted

SQL Compact cannot be used in Windows Azure, you need a Windows Azure SQL Database for this.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:09 PM
  • User379720387 posted

I am using Webmatrix 2 with SQL CE and publish to Azure. This has worked fine for several months.

I must admit however that once I added Entity Framework the whole scheme collapsed and I can no longer publish to Azure.

Microsoft is working on this and I hope to hear from them soon.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:27 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

SQL Compact cannot be used in Windows Azure, you need a Windows Azure SQL Database for this.

That is not correct. There are a number of examples of people using SQL CE in Azure successfully.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:52 PM
  • User736351421 posted

That is not correct. There are a number of examples of people using SQL CE in Azure successfully.

On the Dutch website about Windows Azure it clearly states that this is not allowed.

Even though there seem to be people who can succesfully use SQL Compact on Windows Azure.

The Web Pages website that I made with an SQL Compact database ran correctly on my ASP.NET shared webhosting and it ran fine on my Windows VPS.

It puzzles me why Windows Azure wouldn't work with SQL Compact. But I get an error and I couldn't find any clues as to how to get it to work.

If someone could tell me how to get SQL Compact to work on Windows Azure, then I would appreciate that a lot!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:01 AM
  • User379720387 posted

Do you use Entity Framework?

Webmatrix 2 or Webmatrix 3?

On 2 without Entity Framework:

create site on Azure

download publish profile

in WM click on REMOTE

top left of window import new publish profile

validate connection then save then publish

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:15 AM
  • User736351421 posted

Do you use Entity Framework?

I use WM3, but I think I need the Entity Framework, could you please explain how to do this?

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:16 AM
  • User379720387 posted

I don't know that your WM3 version is not the reason why you cannot publish to Azure.

I know that the addition of Entity Framework to WM2 completely destroys my capability to publish to Azure.

If I were you I would not add extra complexity (i.e. Entity Framework) before you know you can publish to Azure.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:25 AM
  • User736351421 posted

I don't know that your WM3 version is not the reason why you cannot publish to Azure.

I can publish, but that when I try to do something with my SQL Compact database then I get an error Framework not found.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:31 PM