Appbar command that links to authors website

Question

• Hello all. I'm creating an HTML5/JS Metro style app, and I'd like to include somewhere in the app a mean to reach our website.

Is that considered as a bad practice in Metro style apps?

If not, moving on to the actual implementation:

I thought the best unobtrusive way would be to put a command in the appbar, in the general section (i.e. the one on the right side). Something like "Contact Us", or "About Us", ... Probably that command would be visibile when appbar is open on any page of my app, or as an alternative only when appbar is open on main landing page.

If the appbar command is not ok, the second choice I thought of is putting the link somewhere in Settings.

Could anybody share any thought on this? Thanks all.

• Edited by GiUmaTo Friday, June 01, 2012 5:15 PM
    Friday, June 01, 2012 5:14 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of any pages that go into detail about the About page.

See the Guidelines for App Settings (Metro style apps) documentation for information on app settings in general and a note that it is appropriate for About info. I can't copy the link on this device, but if you search for "guidelines for settings" you should find it.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by GiUmaTo Friday, June 01, 2012 7:08 PM
    Friday, June 01, 2012 6:10 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Settings would be a more appropriate place to put this. I'd probably include it in the About page.

--Rob

Friday, June 01, 2012 5:50 PM
    Owner
  • In Metro UI Design Guidelines, is there any doc with suggestions and best practices on About page in Settings? Thanks.
    Friday, June 01, 2012 6:04 PM
  • I'm not aware of any pages that go into detail about the About page.

See the Guidelines for App Settings (Metro style apps) documentation for information on app settings in general and a note that it is appropriate for About info. I can't copy the link on this device, but if you search for "guidelines for settings" you should find it.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by GiUmaTo Friday, June 01, 2012 7:08 PM
    Friday, June 01, 2012 6:10 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, thanks for info, I found it. For the records, this is the link: 

Guidelines for app settings (Metro style apps) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh770544.aspx

and there are a couple of points where it mentions "About". Thanks

Friday, June 01, 2012 7:08 PM