Create New HelloWorld Sample in HealthVault Application Manager v1.1 generates System.Runtime.InteropSevices.COMException RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed HealthVault SDK on my Windows XP SP3 system. I launched the Application Manager as instructed and tried to execute Create New HelloWorld Sample when I got the System.Runtime.InteropSevices.COMException error message after aboiut 1 minute.

I have saved a screen capture of error details, BUT THERE IS STILL NO WAY TO ATTACH A FILE TO THESE FORUMS TO DOCUMENTS ERRORS !!!

WHAT is wrong and how do I fix it?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:00 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply, DonBaechtel.

If you have VS2008 you should be able to create the sample Hello World app.  Can you send us the exact text of the error message that pops up (you can press CTRL+C on the error message dialog to copy the message to your clipboard.)

In the mean time, you can still create a workable Hello World sample application by following instructions in Program Files\Microsoft HealthVault\SDK\DotNet\WebSamples\HelloWorld\HelloWorldSampleReadMe.mht.

You can also still create a new application, just opt out of creating a project via template.  This means you have to go through the traditional way of creating application by adding cert, registering with HealthVault, manually create a new application, set web.config properly.  Instruction can be found in ..\Microsoft HealthVault\SDK\Tools\UserGuide.htm

Let me know if you still have any questions, or any of the above does not work for you.
    • Marked as answer by DonBaechtel Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi DonBaechtel,

Can you please let me know which versions of Health Vault SDk and visual studio .net you are using.  Please run the Application manager with admin priviledges.

Regards,
    Madan kamuju 
    • Edited by Madan kamuju Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:19 PM Text edit
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:14 PM
  • HV SDK.exe is 6.0.6001.18000

Visual Studio is Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Enterprise
    Version 10.0.21006.1 B2Rel
    But VS2010 is not used to Create New HelloWorld Sample . The SDK's Application Manager creates the sample and generates the error.

I am running on Win XP SP3 so admin priv is not needed.
    Win XP and system have all current updates installed.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 6:18 PM
  • Hi DonBaechel,

Health Vault is not officially supported with Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 yet, So please try with previous version of Microsoft Visual Studio and let me know.

Please find the similar post below.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/healthvault/thread/0285e92f-bf50-4b43-88ed-48826c474281

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Madan Kamuju

• Proposed as answer by Madan kamuju Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DonBaechtel Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:28 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:40 PM
  • But VS2010 is not used to Create New HelloWorld Sample . The SDK's Application Manager creates the sample and generates the error. I do not believe that any function of VS2010 is used.

Since VS2010 is not used by the HealthVault SDK Application Manager, so it is not possible for me to try with previous version of Microsoft Visual Studio. Visual Studio is not used in the process.

Please tell me how I can get the HealthVault SDK Application Manager to genereate the Create New HelloWorld Sample without an error.
    • Proposed as answer by Madan kamuju Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by DonBaechtel Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:40 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Don & Madan--

I've looped in some of the engineering team directly and they're taking a look at this.  We'll get back to you with what more we find.

Don-- what is your Microsoft.Health.dll version (Program Files\Microsoft HealthVault\SDK\DotNet\Assemblies)?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Microsoft.Health.dll version is 1.2.2243.4915.

THANKS.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:09 PM
  • All caps aren't required ;-).  But you're welcome.

It may not look like it, but which version of Visual Studio is installed does make a difference.  It appears there is an issue if you have VS 2010 installed but not VS 2008 that causes the problem.  We're engaged and investigating.  We have reproduced the error at our end, so it's not just you.  The condition that causes this is VS2010 being the only version of VS installed.

We'll reply back when we know more.  In the meantime, VS2010 isn't officially supported yet... but we're working on it.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:20 PM
  • I have both VS2010B2 and VS2008 installed on this machine.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Hi DobBaechtel,

I think when your are creating a New application using application Manager,  It will try to open with the latest version of Visual Studio, So please uninstall VS2010B2 and then try to create a new application. Please let me know if it works.

Regards,
    Madan Kamuju
    • Proposed as answer by Madan kamuju Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DonBaechtel Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, DonBaechtel.

If you have VS2008 you should be able to create the sample Hello World app.  Can you send us the exact text of the error message that pops up (you can press CTRL+C on the error message dialog to copy the message to your clipboard.)

In the mean time, you can still create a workable Hello World sample application by following instructions in Program Files\Microsoft HealthVault\SDK\DotNet\WebSamples\HelloWorld\HelloWorldSampleReadMe.mht.

You can also still create a new application, just opt out of creating a project via template.  This means you have to go through the traditional way of creating application by adding cert, registering with HealthVault, manually create a new application, set web.config properly.  Instruction can be found in ..\Microsoft HealthVault\SDK\Tools\UserGuide.htm

Let me know if you still have any questions, or any of the above does not work for you.
    • Marked as answer by DonBaechtel Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Hello,
    I got exactly same exception as DonBaechtel got when try to create a new application and HelloWorld Example in HealthVault App manager. I have VS2008, HV SDK.exe is 6.0.6001.18000.
    I don't see a way to attach the screen shot of error message in this stream. Here I have to type in partial of them. Let me know if you need full message, I can email you as soon as you send me your email address.
    An unknown error occurred while creating your project.
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010001): Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {1A5AC6AE-7B95-478C-B422-0E994FD727D6} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80010001. at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly...
    Monday, March 1, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Hello,
    I got exactly same exception as DonBaechtel got when try to create a new application and HelloWorld Example in HealthVault App manager. I have VS2008, HV SDK.exe is 6.0.6001.18000.
    I don't see a way to attach the screen shot of error message in this stream. Here I have to type in partial of them. Let me know if you need full message, I can email you as soon as you send me your email address.
    An unknown error occurred while creating your project.
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010001): Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {1A5AC6AE-7B95-478C-B422-0E994FD727D6} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80010001. at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly...
    After I closed the error message, I found an application ID was created in PPE account. However, no VS solution was created in my local. And same exception occurs when choose "Create Visio Studio C# project" from right click menu in HealthVault App Manager.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Microsoft should upgarde ALL of the Forums so that pictures of screen shots can be attached. It is about time they start improving the Forums to improve Customer Service. Don't you think?
    Monday, March 1, 2010 8:32 PM

• DonBaechtel:  I will discuss with our team internally on your point, about uploading of screenshots in the forum.

PhrExplorer :  Can you please let us know your operating system?.  Are you able to run HelloWorld Sample application provided with the SDK?.

You can send me the complete error to v-madank@microsoft.com.

Regards,
    Madan Kamuju
    Monday, March 1, 2010 10:59 PM
  • My OS is Windows XP SP3 with all of the latest updates.

I can run the SDK HelloWorld Sample, but this problem report is about using the Application Manager  to Create New HelloWorld Sample and other new applications.

PLEASE fix the Application Manager  so that runs as intended without creating any errors.
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Don,

I'm sorry you're running into trouble with using application manager with VS2010.

Application Manager depends on published VS interfaces to determine what options it should present to the user, and one of those interfaces is no longer present in VS2010.

Our plan is to change the approach we use in application manager so it no longer depends on this interface.  
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Please note that 6.0.6001.18000 is actually the version of the SDK self-extractor and not the .NET assembly version.  The 6.* version is set by iexpress.exe, which is what we use to generate the file. Our team is looking for a way to override this version number and to replace it with the true SDK version number.

The true SDK version number shows up in two places:
     -- The file version on Microsoft.Health.DLL and related DLLs that the HealthVault SDK installs.
     -- The version number on the assemblies within these DLL files

The current 1001 SDK that you are using contains DLLs with version number 1.2.2243.4915.  Note that the DLL version and the assembly version will not always be exact matches.  In order to implement binary compatibility across related minor releases, we are required to put the same version number on each assembly version within a family.  The DLL versions can change but the assembly versions cannot.

I know that this is all a bit more complicated than we would like ... but in a nutshell, the official version of the SDK that you are using will be the file version of the Microsoft.Health.DLL.

Please let us know if you have further questions on this.

Chris Tremonte, PM - HealthVault
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 11:58 PM
  • My issue was resolved. Seems it's a user previlege issue, my system adminstrator convert my account to non-Roaming profile and I was able now to create new application without the exception anymore.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hello Roy,

I am able to open the above mentioned link. Could you please let me know your problem that you are facing.

Regards,

Madan Kamuju

Monday, August 16, 2010 11:00 AM