Blend + Sketchflow is very unstable! RRS feed

• Question

• I have been testdriving Blend + Sketchflow the last two days, and my experience so far is that the app is very unstable and filled with bugs. 

Using it for aprox. 5 hours it has caused my computer to crash (the hard way - blue screen of death!) 6-7 times - doing simple tasks in the app, such as using the mouse wheel to zoom the flow map in and out, rezising a tab sketch style and so forth. 

Furthermore the Buxton Sketch font simply doesn't work here. When starting a new project the Arial font is used, even if I go to ressources and set the font to Buxton Sketch. Changing the font to eg verdana works fine. 

Is there any development plan for correcting these bugs? In the current version the Sketchflow unfortunately doesn't seem to be the alternative to Balsamiq Mockups and Visio that I have hoped for. Actually the errors I have experienced is too unacceptable for a product that cost money!

Bonus info: I have installed the Blend + Sketchflow version 3.0.1927.0. The OS is Windows XP with SP3 and the machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad T61.

BR,
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:54 PM

All replies

• Howdy,

I can see your frustrations but I got to tell you, the vast majority of people dont have any of the issues that you are reporting.

If you have specific bugs, you can go to http://connect.microsoft.com

It does sound like your hardware isnt beefy enough to play though... do you have much else running in processes?

Something else to try is to go to the help menu->About and ensure that you are running with Hardware acceleration. That will be a killer.

Sorry I cant be of any further help, I hope you can get it onto another machine if you cant sort these issues out, because its a great product and I think you will like it once you get stable.

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:46 PM
  • The crashing is a known issue with XP. I am also using Blend + Sketchflow with XP and find that I need to close it every few hours. It is frustrating (but I am getting a new system in two weeks ... so have not done anything about it.)

If you search on "Blend" and "Memory Leak", you should be able to find a Kb article about it with a fix you can download. (I didn't try it.)

I have not seen the font issue you are seeing.

Hope this helps.
    www.insteptech.com ; msmvps.com/blogs/deborahk
    We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Using Blend with XP and have no issues really.  Working on a project now with over 1000 lines of XAML and still no issues.  Either you have old hardware or you need to just wipe and reinstall.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:18 PM
  • This is from the Blend site release notes:

"Expression Blend causes excess memory to be used on Windows XP when working with a Silverlight project

When you are working with a Silverlight 3 project in Expression Blend 3 on Windows XP, memory leaks can occur. This is an issue with the version of Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) that Expression Blend 3 requires to run. If you are affected by this issue, you can apply the update."

Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Blend_ReleaseNotes.aspx#3

So yes, it is a known issue.

We are volunteers and ask only that if we are able to help you, that you mark our reply as your answer. THANKS!
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:34 PM
  • To add a little more info ...

When I open my project in Expression Blend, it takes about 200,000 K of memory.

Working with it for an hour or two (depending on what I am doing), it suddenly goes to about 500,000 K of memory.

If I don't save and exit soon when this happens, it gets to about 600,000 K and crashes.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:37 PM
  • Sounds nasty....

You are going to smile when you get your new kit then! I havent used XP for the better part of 4 years now with all the pre-vista testing stuff etc... As much as people bitched about XP.. those that invested in new kit that was powerful enough to run it, had no issues and enjoyed life more (cheesy eh?)

But in all seriousness... I know there are reasons that people still stick with XP and have no complaints. I hope a better experience presents itself regardless of your OS choice.

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I only use it at work cause they won't bite the bullet and order 7.  Grrrr.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Thanks for the replies!

So apparently it seems as a known issue, and my best guess is also that it is memory handling bugs. But the blue screen only appears for 1 second saying something like "stack overflow" and then it automatically reboots, so I have no chance of reading the error message completely. 

Regarding having other apps open: Yes, simple apps like Outlook and IE - that should not be a problem.  And I am running with hardware acceleration. And my XP installation is only 3 months old.

On the long we are going to update the OS to Windows 7 in the company, but at the moment all company PC's must run XP (due to security).  

Also the sketch font issue is described here: http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/blend/thread/bf477857-c281-4171-89fd-f7f171cf9e8a 
    - but unfortunately I can't get the suggested solution to work.

I will try the suggested update and write back if I had only success.

Thanks.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 1:04 PM