none
Touch certification: logistics and timeline? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We intend to get our touch-screen hardware certified.

I have read through hardware-certification-policies-processes.docx (<-- if you need a link, just Bing that filename). There is a whole lot of general WHQL information in there along with a decent amount of detail there specific to touch devices. The part that stands is where it says "A good controller may still provide a bad user experience if it's paired with the other components incorrectly. For this reason, *touch hardware must be submitted*..."

I have heard good things about the general WHQL process in that much of the testing can be done on IHV's side, and after sending those logs to Microsoft we might get a response in as little as 48 hours. However, I fear touch certification is an entirely different story given we must send in physical hardware.

If others here have gone through touch certification, please share your experiences in terms of how long it typically takes. Once a shipment has arrived at Microsoft, when can I hope to hear from the Hardware Quality Labs that they've actually received it? From that point, how long does it take for the Microsoft engineers to run the tests and send a result back to the vendor? Once this process is completed could we request Microsoft to send the prototype back?

I'm not asking for a an exact number of hours, but am trying to get a feel for whether this is something on the order of days, weeks, or months. If the process were to take a year that would certainly hurt our time-to-market.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 7:17 AM

Answers

• The touch device certification process is a little different than all of the other product types that we certify.  Touch is one of the most critical aspects to the Windows 8 experience, we do require that IHVs submit their touch device to the Windows Touch Taipei Test Lab (WTTL).  The following whitepaper explains how the Windows Touch Test Lab works, and what needs to be done for a submission. 

Our advertised turn around time is 10 business days from once the hardware and submission have been received by the lab, however review times can be much faster or slower based off of the number of devices in the queue. 

John -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:37 PM