none
No longer able to debug MVC project associated with Office app: "no symbols have been loaded for this document" RRS feed

• Question

• I broke something.

I did a 'crazy' uninstall of seemingly unnecessary Microsoft development tools/libraries recently and, if that's the reason, just shout me down and I'll keep schtum!

I am developing a Mail app for Outlook (JavaScript API) and have replaced the template default Web project with an MVC site and, in fact, use Web API mostly exclusively to function as the app's API.

Everything worked well until recently (and perhaps coincidentally with my program purge). Now, I'm unable to debug the Web API controllers which report "no symbols have been loaded for this document" unless (!) I right-click the MVC project and Debug, Step into new Instance.  Then, the symbols modules are loaded and it's ok.

What did I break? Any ideas?

Saturday, January 5, 2013 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I had the same problem. 

Setting the two projects as "Starter" projects solved the problem.

So right click your Solution in the Solution Explorer, click on "Set Startup Projects", then choose the "Multiple startup projects", then set the two mail app projects as the "Startup" projects. (I'm talking about the two projects that are created by default, one that has the xml manifest and the other project which has the content, like Pages, Scripts, ... etc).

Hope this helped.

• Marked as answer by Daz Wilkin 2 Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:16 AM
  • Hi @Daz Wilkin 2

I am assuming that you are using the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012?

If so, have you tried simply re-running the installer linked to from here? If you are missing components, it should be able to detect this and repair your installation and add back any components you may have inadvertently uninstalled in your purge. If you are still seeing an error after that let us know.

Thanks

Mark Wilson-Thomas

Office Developer Tools Team

Mark Wilson-Thomas Program Manager, Visual Studio Office Tools Team

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:53 AM

All replies

• Hi @Daz Wilkin 2

I am assuming that you are using the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012?

If so, have you tried simply re-running the installer linked to from here? If you are missing components, it should be able to detect this and repair your installation and add back any components you may have inadvertently uninstalled in your purge. If you are still seeing an error after that let us know.

Thanks

Mark Wilson-Thomas

Office Developer Tools Team

Mark Wilson-Thomas Program Manager, Visual Studio Office Tools Team

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:53 AM
  • Thanks. I'll give it a whirl!
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:36 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem. 

Setting the two projects as "Starter" projects solved the problem.

So right click your Solution in the Solution Explorer, click on "Set Startup Projects", then choose the "Multiple startup projects", then set the two mail app projects as the "Startup" projects. (I'm talking about the two projects that are created by default, one that has the xml manifest and the other project which has the content, like Pages, Scripts, ... etc).

Hope this helped.

• Marked as answer by Daz Wilkin 2 Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:53 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:16 AM