TFS 2012 Best Practices Analyzer is using the wrong URL TFSServerUrlValidate is not right. RRS feed

• Question

• This is a move of the databases to a new TFS server. After the move the first thing I do is change the server URL in the TFS admin console.  I am trying to run the Best Practices Analyzer and it wants to use its own idea of what the URL is.  It appears to be using a variable of "%TFSServerURLValidated%".  It does not tell me what this variable's value is.... I do see this
    "Team Foundation Server URL (original) = http://mydevTemp-tfs:8080/tfs" which is the new server location.

The scan appears to use something different, it shows this;

The scan was generated using the corrected URL "%TFSServerURLValidated%"

the result is nothing is analyzed. 

There is nothing in the help document, there is nothing given for help other than this:

Perhaps the next version of the Best Practices Analyzer could be a bit more helpful with this problem???

Randy Schultz

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Randy,

Thanks for your post!

Can you tell me if you can connect to the new TFS Server from IE?

Please verify whether the validated URL matches the URL for an application-tier server in the deployment. You can find the URL for the scan in the tree report under Scan Environment and Scan Type.

For more information, please refer to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff966330%28v=vs.100%29.aspx

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:00 AM
  • I can do amost everything with the server.  I can connect via IE.  I can connect from Visual Studio.  The only issue was that the Visual Studio cache would point to the wrong server for Reports.  Simply deleting all cache resolved this, but I believe the problem would com back if I attempt to connect to the original server and then back to this new install.  Also I found that the build controller does not like the new TFS server, TFS2012 build controller configuration is claiming it(new server) is 'not compatible'.

What I am trying to do is verify a move of our production by performing the steps on a test server. We are attempting to do many changes at one sweep, move sql, upgrade TFS, upgrade SharePoint, perhaps this is the source of the problem.

I don't know what the validated URL is since the tool only shows the variable name not the value, in the tree view.

Randy Schultz

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:00 PM
  • My build controller now works.  I uninstalled TFS, actually just a remove feature.   I then ran the app tier only wizard, after the third attempt it was successful.  Now only issue left is the bpa.exe

Randy Schultz

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi Randy,

Thanks for your feedback!

For this issue, I suggest you submit it as a suggestion to User Voice site at: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio.

Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously.  

Best Regards,

Cathy Kong
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 28, 2013 6:25 AM
  • This is probably not a problem of the URL. See the log files in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\TfsBpa (e.g. C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\TfsBpa

In there you will probably find the real problem.

It might be something I recently stumbled upon. In some cases BPA tries to work with wrong directories. E.g. assume the account name BPA runs under starts with '$'. Then the Powershell scripts BPA depends upon will interpret that name as a variable at some places. That "variable" (e.g. '$MyAcountName') most probably will not exist and evaluate to ''. BPA will then try to access files in a folder 'C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\TfsBpa', which does not exist. You will be seeing corresponding messages in the log files mentioned above then.

If a BPA scan fails as early as this, the URL will not even be validated and the irritating error message 'The scan was generated using the corrected URL "%TFSServerURLValidated%"' appears.

Monday, December 2, 2013 2:21 PM