none
How to allow vb.net DLL reference to current version or newer. RRS feed

• Question

• I have three VB.net (Framework v2) projects, 1 x EXE and 2 x DLL.  The EXE references DLL1 and DLL2, DLL1 also references DLL2.  Is there a way to I can make a change to DLL2, recompile and not have to recompile DLL1?  I am not breaking any compatbility between DLL1 and DLL2, just making perfermance tweeks or fixing bugs.  Currently after compiling a new version of DLL2, anything used from DLL1 causes an exception error, 'Could not load type.'

Is there a way I can set DLL1 that as long as DLL2 is version X or higher, everything is fine.

Thanks.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    For exception 'Could not load type you can use the following tool,Fuslogvw.exe, thanks nobugz for providing such a knowledge
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e74a18c4.aspx

Thanks

We are volunteers, if the reply help you mark it as your answer. thanks!!
    My Blog
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, August 14, 2009 6:45 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Just don't change the version number and it won't complain.  Assuming you didn't break the public interface.  If you really want to change the version number, you can use the <bindingRedirect> element in the .exe.config file or create a Publisher Policy.  You'll find these keywords back in your MSDN Library index.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, August 14, 2009 6:44 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    For exception 'Could not load type you can use the following tool,Fuslogvw.exe, thanks nobugz for providing such a knowledge
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e74a18c4.aspx

Thanks

We are volunteers, if the reply help you mark it as your answer. thanks!!
    My Blog
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, August 14, 2009 6:45 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Just don't change the version number and it won't complain.  Assuming you didn't break the public interface.  If you really want to change the version number, you can use the <bindingRedirect> element in the .exe.config file or create a Publisher Policy.  You'll find these keywords back in your MSDN Library index.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by eryang Friday, August 14, 2009 6:44 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 3:09 PM