cannot find custom tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,
    I've just installed a custom tool that creates public classes out of .resx files (vs2005), yet for some reason I get the "cannot find custom tool" message when trying to run the custom tool. I looked at the regedit and the key exists- am I missing something?
    Monday, July 17, 2006 12:55 PM

Answers

• Do you have the VS SDK installed?  The help topic "Registering Custom Tools" mentions that several registry keys are required in order to have a working custom tool.  You need registry entries under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\CLSID\{GUID} for the component

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Generators\{GUID} for each language the the custom tool supports. 

Where is the custom tool component get installed?  You can try manually registering the component by using

regasm /codebase nameofthedll.dll

Monday, July 17, 2006 5:29 PM

All replies

• Do you have the VS SDK installed?  The help topic "Registering Custom Tools" mentions that several registry keys are required in order to have a working custom tool.  You need registry entries under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\CLSID\{GUID} for the component

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Generators\{GUID} for each language the the custom tool supports. 

Where is the custom tool component get installed?  You can try manually registering the component by using

regasm /codebase nameofthedll.dll

Monday, July 17, 2006 5:29 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.

My .dll is installed in the GAC, and I have the appropriate registry entries under CLSID and each of the Generators.

Any other suggestions?

J
    Monday, October 6, 2008 1:31 AM
  • The value of Assembly in the CLSID key was wrong. It works now.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 1:35 AM