Migrating From VS 2005 to VS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to ask Microsoft if it is safe to install VS 2008 alongside VS 2005, so that developers may use either product?

Does installing VS 2008 impact (in any way) the behaviour or stability of a previous VS 2005 installation?

If we do install VS 2008, can we safely use it as our new toolset on projects previously built in VS 2005 (assuming we ensure that we use .NET Framework 2.0 for these projects)?

Also all of our development has been done under XP (both 32 and 64 bit versions) and I am now charged with finding out if it is "safe" to begin doing further development under Vista x64 with VS 2008.

Our (still being developed) product does target Vista and it might be easier if we work on this OS as standard and just do backward compatibility testing on XP (Using VMware for example).

It is always extremely risky to upgrade to new tools and OSs during product development, but I am of the opinion that if we do this now rather than later, we will be in a better position later on. Our delivery targets are sufficiently flexible for this to not be a major worry so far as time goes.

What do others here think of these questions?

Thanks

Hugh

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:05 PM

Answers

• See the VS readme

Specifically Q

2.1.1.8. Installing Visual Studio 2008 side-by-side with Visual Studio 2005 on the same computer causes Visual Studio 2005 repair of .NET Framework 2.0 to fail.

I suspect it will answer you question

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:26 AM

All replies

• See the VS readme

Specifically Q

2.1.1.8. Installing Visual Studio 2008 side-by-side with Visual Studio 2005 on the same computer causes Visual Studio 2005 repair of .NET Framework 2.0 to fail.

I suspect it will answer you question

Saturday, December 8, 2007 4:26 AM
  • Installing VS2008 on your system doesn't create any problem at all. i have tried installing VS2008 alongwith the VS2005 both were working fine.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:51 AM