My app crashes without throwing an exception, but why? RRS feed

• Question

• Some of my users are experiencing frequent crashes (five computers, all problems started a the same day, had no problems before)

I'm not able to reproduce the crashes, according to the users it seems random. They say it comes up with the "send to MS" box, but it doesn't show anything useful

In my code I have set up try...catch in every sub/function in the offending form, and set the program to write to log when it catches an exception... but nothing is ever caught

Does anyone have any idea on what is wrong here? Why can't I catch that unknown exception?
    Friday, December 14, 2007 2:15 PM

Answers

• At the moment the exception is being thrown is probably not your code thats actually throwning the exception - it could be one of the underlying assemblies thats doing it.

To see if this helps configure this to show all exceptions try the following changes

Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> Enable Just My Code (managed Only) - uncheck this.

Debug -> Exceptions -> And ensure that these are all checked as thrown.

This will then throw an exception in more circumnstances and hopefully identify whats causing the problem.

If they were working and suddenly all stopped working on same day - then it may be some underlying assembly got updated and its now causing some compatibility issue effecting the runtime.

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:33 PM

All replies

• At the moment the exception is being thrown is probably not your code thats actually throwning the exception - it could be one of the underlying assemblies thats doing it.

To see if this helps configure this to show all exceptions try the following changes

Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> Enable Just My Code (managed Only) - uncheck this.

Debug -> Exceptions -> And ensure that these are all checked as thrown.

This will then throw an exception in more circumnstances and hopefully identify whats causing the problem.

If they were working and suddenly all stopped working on same day - then it may be some underlying assembly got updated and its now causing some compatibility issue effecting the runtime.

Friday, December 14, 2007 8:33 PM

• Thanks I'll try that out, hopefully that will give me a hint on what is causing the problem
    Monday, December 17, 2007 8:20 AM