none
Developing VSTO document-level Add-Ins on temporary Windows 7 accounts RRS feed

• Question

• We are preparing for a lab session at university and want the students to develop Excel 2013 document-level add-in in Visual Studio 2012. The computers are running Windows 7 and students log on with temporary accounts (using a Novell client).

The problem seems to be, that there is no possibility to create a pfx-Key on a temporary account.

(I don't have the exact english error messages but I will try to translate them as best I can.) First we tried creating a new Excel document-level add-in and on compiling the error was: No CertificateThumbprint-Parameter was assigned to the ManageCertificateStore task.

Then we tried opening an existing project and on compiling the error thrown were these:

Error 1: The following key file could not be imported: "" The key file might be password protected. Import the certificate again or try importing the certificate manually into the certificate store of the current user to solve the problem.
    Error 2: Import of the key file "nameofourproject_TemporaryKey.pfx" aborted. 

So we went to the certificate section of project properties and tried to create a new test certificate, which threw the Exception HRESULT: 0x80090024 "Profile for user is a temporary profile". Signing the assembly also failed for temporary profile reasons. Selecting the pfx Key I created with a local account prompted for a password, which I had not set there.

Is there any way to develop Excel 2013 document level add-ins with temporary Windows profiles or creating pfx-keys I can use on different profiles? Or is there maybe a way to reconfigure the image that has been distributed to the lab computers to be able to develop Excel add-ins ?

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi schwoe,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I could create an Office document add-in successfully when I use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the computers. I suggest you to try to use Remote Desktop Connection to see whether this issue still exists.

If the issue could be resolved, it may cause by Novell Client. I suggest you repost it to Novell Forums get more efficient response.

If the issue still exists, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:10 PM