Power Pivot Requirement RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Do i require Addin for powerpivot in sharepoint to use the features of power pivot.

And my Source will be SQL to import DATA??

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Krishna_ece,

PowerPivot add-in is for SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel, you have to install it can you design the Pivottable or Pivotchart in the PowerPivot workbook, after you design the report, you can deploy it to sharepoint server. To achieve this, you have to Install PowerPivot for SharePoint on an Existing SharePoint Server not just intall Sharepoint PowerPivot addin, actually there is no such an add-in called Sharepoint PowerPivot addin. You can refer to this link about How Install PowerPivot for SharePoint on an Existing SharePoint Server http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210616.aspx

For Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010 add-in, you can download it from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7609

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Challen Fu Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• No, you only need the SharePoint PowerPivot 'add-in' if you are planning to publish your reports to SharePoint to share it with others, and schedule automatic refresh.

You can use PowerPivot for Excel (and import data from SQL Server or other data sources), without having SharePoint in the picture

Javier Guillen
    http://javierguillen.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply..

Actually i need sharepoint where i need to create dashboards.

Configuring Sql 2008 r2 with power pivot feature selected is enough or should i also need to install sharepoint powerpivot addin.

Pls provide me the link where i can download Sharepoint PowerPivot addin...

Thank you.

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hi Krishna_ece,

PowerPivot add-in is for SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel, you have to install it can you design the Pivottable or Pivotchart in the PowerPivot workbook, after you design the report, you can deploy it to sharepoint server. To achieve this, you have to Install PowerPivot for SharePoint on an Existing SharePoint Server not just intall Sharepoint PowerPivot addin, actually there is no such an add-in called Sharepoint PowerPivot addin. You can refer to this link about How Install PowerPivot for SharePoint on an Existing SharePoint Server http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210616.aspx

For Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010 add-in, you can download it from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7609

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Challen Fu Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

I have a setup with Sqlserver 2008 r2 with power pivot addin on existing sharepoint server farm.

also i installed Excel 2010 and i got the Power Pivot Addin.

My Question Do i require the Same Setup in my other development servers.

Or should i just access the sharepoint Portal???

Thank you

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:14 AM
  • Hi Krishna_ece,

If you just want to visite the PivotTable or PivotChart on the other development server, there is no need for you to install the same setup. You can access the SharePoint Portal as long as you complete the configuration on the existing sharepoint server.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Challen Fu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 3, 2012 1:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for reply.

I can view the PivotTable and Charts on the dev server accessing Sharepoint Portal.

BUT if i want to develop One PowerPivot WorkBook and Publish It in sharepoint , Should i need to have whole setup?

For Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010 add-in, you can download it from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7609

Is this enough in my DEV server

Friday, February 3, 2012 6:56 PM
  • hi,

Challen Fu

Please let me know whether should i need to have whole setup or only Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010 add-in is enough.

Thank you,

krishna

Sunday, February 5, 2012 6:13 AM
  • If you want to design PivotTable or PivotChart, just download add-in and install it is enough, after completing the design, deloy it to SharePoint server. Hope this help you.

Challen Fu

Monday, February 6, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Hi Challen,

Iam using a CUBE as Datasource for the Workbook in excel.

iam not using Power pivot Window launch for the Design.

Iam just doing it through excel Data tab Connections Will this workbook suffice Power pivot Vertipaq engine,in-memory stuff??

Thank you

Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Hi All,

Iam using Power Pivot for EXCEL and creating Power Pivot tables and Charts.

Pls let me know the setup in production server.

What all the components do i need and do i require to configure power pivot for sharepoint??

Challen Pls help me on this

Thank you

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Could you please have a look at my top replies, if you just want to use Power Pivot for EXCEL and creat Power Pivot tables and Charts, just download add-in and install it is enough. But on the production server, you have to install PowerPivot for SharePoint on an Existing SharePoint ServerYou can refer to this link about How Install PowerPivot for SharePoint on an Existing SharePoint Server which conclude these steps:

Step 1: Check for a prior installation of Analysis Services

Step 2: Install SQL Server PowerPivot for SharePoint

Step 3: Deploy the PowerPivot Solution Package

Step 4: Start Services on the Server

Step 5: Create a PowerPivot Service Application

Step 6: Configure Excel Services

Step 7: Configure Secure Store Service and Data Refresh

Step 8: Set Upper Limits on Disk Space Usage

Step 9: Increase Maximum Upload Size for SharePoint Web Applications and Excel Services

Step 10: Activate PowerPivot Feature Integration for Site Collections

Step 11: Verify Installation and Configuration

For more information about installation, please see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210616.aspx

Thanks,

Challen Fu

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Hi Challen,

Than you for the reply.

But iam not using Power Pivot Window Launch for the Pivot table and charts development , so do i require Power Pivot for Sharepoint to be Configured?

Thank you

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:27 AM
  • Both is Ok, Excel can use either mutidimensional mode or tabular mode AS database.

Challen Fu

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Both means i didnt get challen.

How about configuring excel services ?

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:02 AM