none
Visual Studio 2008

Question

• I have a desktop app written in C# with my machine being the only one with the source code. We deploy the MSI via our server along with a Crystal Reports MSI. We have several third party libraries we use such as Chilkat, NewtonSoft to perform some functions for us.

I know I need to upgrade yesterday and wanted to see if it made sense to move all the way to VS 2015 with a cloud subscription.

I want to store my code somewhere like Team Foundation server.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Monday, February 29, 2016 10:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Torbal,

Thanks for your post.

>>I want to store my code somewhere like Team Foundation server.

Did you want to upgrade your VS from VS2008 to VS2015?  And want to open your project in VS2015?

As far as I know, you can open the project from VS2008 in VS2015 directly. But there might be some compatibility issues.

So before upgrading. I suggest you could backup all project files you need and copy them to another folder.  And there is no need to store your code to the cloud subscription.

In addition, please mare sure the third party libraries you used are compatible with VS2015.

Please take a look at the following document about "VS2015 Compatibility":

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-2015-compatibility-vs.aspx

If I misunderstood your question, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 5:39 AM
  • Thanks, I have explored the issue with third party components, what I am after is a Github to store my code, or server like Team Foundation to make sure the code lives on in the event my machine dies.
    Tuesday, March 08, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Hi Torbal,

Thanks for your update.

May be you could also try to use VS Online(Visual Studio Team Services). It's similar with TFS.

For the detailed information, please take a look at the following document:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-team-services-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, March 09, 2016 1:02 AM